Stop at done....booting the kernel

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stop at done....booting the kernel

BryanJI
Contributor I

Firstly, I have already change the init_mx28.c in boot prep to fit my custom board. And also, I have already modify some code in power prep.

Currently, I can flash uboot in SD card and then download the kernel via tftp, mount rootfs via nfs successfully.

The problem is, when I flash imx28_ivt_linux.sb to SD card, it stops at 

Uncompressing linux..........done, booting the kernel.

The common reason for this might be arch number wrong, which is unlikely.

Therefore, I believe I need to change something in linux prep. Anyone have any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

fanqipin
Contributor I

hello, Bryan JI:

I have encounter with the same problem  like you, you said that you pass the parameter "console=ttyAM0,115200n8 mem=64M" to kernel, which kernel version you used?  i can not find the "mem" set option in kernel ?

Bryan JI said:

Thanks, I cant enable early debug, it told me undefine MXS_UART_LL or something like this.

But I think the only problem will be boot parameter problem.

Therefore, I use ltib to change all 4 linux kernel parameter option to same one I want, it works.

This is because evk board use key input to determine which boot parameter to use, I only change the first one, but it might not use the first one. On my custom board, the LRADC is used for other purpose. When I change all 4 parameter to 

console=ttyAM0,115200n8 mem=64M

Ok, it works.

Matteo Fortini said:

The problem can be a completely wrong kernel, which plainly crashes on boot, or simply a wrong console tty.

You should try enabling early printks, use the earlyprintk cmdline option, and find and pass the right console=ttyXXX option also on the bootline.

E.g. the imx28 tty was called ttyAM0 on linux 2.6.35, while in linux 2.6.39 it changed to ttyAMA0 (and it took me one day to realize btw)

0 Kudos

jlu
Contributor II

could you please tell me how to enable early printks?

I have a i.mx25 based board. one pcb can boot to linux, but the other one, assumingly the same design and better layout, stops after "...done. booting kernal". I tried all kind of kernel configuration but cannot get a single bit more output. When I enabled low-level debug functions, the board get reset again and again. there are also some debug options that had generated uImage with "bad data crc"

Matteo Fortini said:

The problem can be a completely wrong kernel, which plainly crashes on boot, or simply a wrong console tty.

You should try enabling early printks, use the earlyprintk cmdline option, and find and pass the right console=ttyXXX option also on the bootline.

E.g. the imx28 tty was called ttyAM0 on linux 2.6.35, while in linux 2.6.39 it changed to ttyAMA0 (and it took me one day to realize btw)

0 Kudos

BryanJI
Contributor I

Thanks, I cant enable early debug, it told me undefine MXS_UART_LL or something like this.

But I think the only problem will be boot parameter problem.

Therefore, I use ltib to change all 4 linux kernel parameter option to same one I want, it works.

This is because evk board use key input to determine which boot parameter to use, I only change the first one, but it might not use the first one. On my custom board, the LRADC is used for other purpose. When I change all 4 parameter to 

console=ttyAM0,115200n8 mem=64M

Ok, it works.

Matteo Fortini said:

0 Kudos

metiu
Contributor I

0 Kudos