cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting visual studio code for i.MX8 development

Jump to solution
hello-world123
Contributor II

Hello, I'm john who is newbie in embedded linux development.

I'm currently doing i.MX8 development using yocto build system and I want to edit/compile/debug kernel/application source code at visual studio code.

Thanks to Variwiki which tells me how to setting environment about SDK, I have a question about these.

(Variwiki Yocto Programming with VSCode link which I read : https://variwiki.com/index.php?title=Yocto_Programming_with_VSCode&release=RELEASE_HARDKNOTT_V1.0_DA...

Variwiki said I need toolchain for cross-compiling applications and they told me how to acquire toolchain about their own SOM which named 'DART-MX8M-MINI' (Variwiki Toolchain installation link which I read : https://variwiki.com/index.php?title=Yocto_Toolchain_installation&release=RELEASE_HARDKNOTT_V1.0_DAR...)

I developed using yocto build system with i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide(IMXLXYOCTOUG) and I also read how to acquire toolchain about my evaluation kit 'i.MX 8M Mini EVKB' with i.MX Porting Guide(IMXBSPPG).

Can I do above Variwiki's 'Yocto Programming with VSCode' using toolchain which described in i.MX Porting Guide(IMXBSPPG) at '2.1.1 How to build and load kernel in standalone environment' ?

Thanks for your help.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Daewoong92,

Yes you can, but if you instal the whole yocto it has to be with the same toolchain version.

Regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Daewoong92,

Yes you can, but if you instal the whole yocto it has to be with the same toolchain version.

Regards

hello-world123
Contributor II

Thanks for your reply.

You mean I have to match kernel source which is used to do yocto build with kernel source which is used to make toolchain?

If so, I followed i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide to do yocto build (repo init -> repo sync -> bitbake image)

and I'm using these kernel source so all I have to do is do 'DISTRO=fsl-imx-fb MACHINE=Target-Machine bitbake core-image-minimal -c populate_sdk' with same build directory like in i.MX BSP Porting Guide 2.1.1. right?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
hello-world123
Contributor II

I successfully finished to make development environment by following variscite link and i.MX Porting Guide as I mentioned.

Thanks to populate_sdk and variscite, NXP staff. 

0 Kudos