Relationship between uboot device tree and linux kernel device tree.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship between uboot device tree and linux kernel device tree.

Jump to solution
trongthinh
Contributor IV

I am working on iMX8MM-evk.
I noticed uboot also uses a device tree, but I don't know the purpose of that device tree. I looked and noticed that the uboot device tree is quite similar to the linux kernel device tree.
Are uboot device tree and linux kernel device tree independent or related?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @trongthinh,

I hope you are doing well.

"Are uboot device tree and linux kernel device tree independent or related?"
->Both U-boot and the Linux kernel device tree are related but independent. they both use the device tree to describe the hardware configuration of the system. However, they serve different purposes and are managed quite differently.
->U-boot device tree is used to configure and initialize the hardware components needed during the boot process, while the Linux kernel used the device tree to describe the hardware configuration once the kernel is booted.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @trongthinh,

I hope you are doing well.

"Are uboot device tree and linux kernel device tree independent or related?"
->Both U-boot and the Linux kernel device tree are related but independent. they both use the device tree to describe the hardware configuration of the system. However, they serve different purposes and are managed quite differently.
->U-boot device tree is used to configure and initialize the hardware components needed during the boot process, while the Linux kernel used the device tree to describe the hardware configuration once the kernel is booted.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos