cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems when building image for MACHINE=imx93-11x11-lpddr4x-evk

Jump to solution
rockerr
Contributor II

Hi, I'm working with the i.MX9 evaluation board and have done the first steps regarding the Yocto build described in the i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide.

MACHINE=imx93-11x11-lpddr4x-evk DISTRO=poky source imx-setup-release.sh  -b build-ixm

While building the core-image-minimal below error occured:

| make[2]: *** No rule to make target 'arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx93-11x11-evk-ld.dtb'.  Stop.
| make[1]: *** [/home/user/Documents/RD0204/linux-platform/imx/build-ixm/tmp/work-shared/imx93-11x11-lpddr4x-evk/kernel-source/scripts/Makefile.build:500: arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale] Error 2imx93-11x11-evk-ld.dtb
| make: *** [/home/user/Documents/RD0204/linux-platform/imx/build-ixm/tmp/work-shared/imx93-11x11-lpddr4x-evk/kernel-source/Makefile:1471: freescale/imx93-11x11-evk-ld.dtb] Error 2
| ERROR: oe_runmake failed
| WARNING: exit code 1 from a shell command.
ERROR: Task (/home/user/Documents/RD0204/linux-platform/imx/sources/meta-freescale/recipes-kernel/linux/linux-fslc-imx_6.1.bb:do_compile) failed with exit code '1'

It seems that the imx93-11x11-evk-ld.dtb file can't be build for some reason, I'm struggling with finding where exactly it should sit in the file tree. There is a file named imx93-11x11-evk.dtb
in tmp/work/imx93_11x11_lpddr4x_evk-poky-linux/linux-fslc-imx/6.1.24+gitAUTOINC+897d73a656-r0/build/arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale, however the names differ.

Do you know how to cope with this error?

Similar problem was mentioned in this question, yet in my case the dts file cannot be found in the file tree.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

These two DISTROs supported and tested for i.MX8 and 9.  If problem encounters, a clean build is worthy of try. 

Best regards

Harvey

View solution in original post

6 Replies
bernhardfink
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is a history around the "FSL Community", if you use this string for a Google search you get some more background information.

In a nutshell, there is a BSP which origins from NXP (from the linux-nxp repository) and there are others. One of these "others" is the FSL Community BSP. It is a Community project and even in the past, before the merge between NXP and Freescale, this BSP did not come from Freescale but from some guys forming a Linux Community group.

Regards,
Bernhard.

0 Kudos
rockerr
Contributor II

It seems that bitbake sources kernel from https://github.com/Freescale/linux-fslc/ instead of the linux-nxp git repository, but why would it do that? Indeed the freescale repo doesn't contain all the dts files that the bitbake later asks for.

0 Kudos
rockerr
Contributor II

when set to MACHINE=imx93evk the error is slightly different, however still a dtb file is lacking:

*** No rule to make target 'arch/arm64/boot/dts/freescale/imx93-14x14-evk-aud-hat.dtb'.  Stop.
0 Kudos
rockerr
Contributor II
It might be my own error of choosing DISTRO=poky, as in the yocto nxp guide it's mentioned that only two distros are supported, fsl-imx-wayland and fsl-imx-waylandx. I'm gonna try this now.
0 Kudos
Harvey021
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

These two DISTROs supported and tested for i.MX8 and 9.  If problem encounters, a clean build is worthy of try. 

Best regards

Harvey

rockerr
Contributor II

It seems that choosing the right distro solved the problem, build went through easily. Thanks!

0 Kudos