cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting i.MX8MM EVK u-boot

Jump to solution
dpog
Contributor IV

I'm currently trying to port the i.MX8MM eval kit to our custom board. Previously we customized the evalkits board files, but we want to use our own files. I followed this thread: Solved: U-boot porting for custom board based on imx8M nan... - NXP Community and the Image builds without problems. I also changed the UART from 2 to 3, changing the dts, imx8mm_evk2.h & .c and set 

SERIAL_CONSOLES = "115200;ttymxc2"
ATF_BOOT_UART_BASE = "0x30880000"

When I startup uuu to flash the uboot into the eMMC I can see the uboot starting up, but when the uboot says "Jump", it is stuck, right after loading the ATF. The U-Boot log is as follows:

U-Boot SPL 2023.04-lf_v2023.04+gab302f5d784 (Sep 21 2023 - 07:40:06 +0000)
DDRINFO: start DRAM init
DDRINFO: DRAM rate 3000MTS
DDRINFO:ddrphy calibration done
DDRINFO: ddrmix config done
Boot
Trying to boot from USB SDP
SDP: initialize...
SDP: handle requests...
Downloading file of size 1956600 to 0x40400000... done
Jumping to header at 0x40400000
Header Tag is not an IMX image
Found header at 0x4042c3a0
NOTICE: Do not release JR0 to NS as it can be used by HAB
NOTICE: BL31: v2.8(release):android-13.0.0_2.0.0-0-ge4b2dbfa5-dirty
NOTICE: BL31: Built : 06:14:17, Jun 2 2023

I'm using the NXP L6.22 BSP
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
dpog
Contributor IV
Hi Sanket,
I meant, that I did a rebuild, after changing CFG_MXC_UART_BASE again back to UART_BASE_ADDR(3). After that it worked, seems that devtool didn't recognize the changes the first time. The dtb, defconfig and board header are merely a copy from the imx8mm_evk.

It is now working as it is supposed to.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Sanket_Parekh
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport
Hi @dpog 

I hope you are doing well.

Please share the custom MACHINE configuration file of Yocto and u-boot configuration for further debugging.

Please make sure that you have referred to the below post.

This issue seems to be due to U-boot not finding the env variable for the serial console.

Thanks & Regards,
Sanket Parekh
0 Kudos
dpog
Contributor IV
The machine file looks as follows:

require conf/machine/imx8mm-lpddr4-evk.conf

IMAGE_FSTYPES += "wic.gz"

UBOOT_DTB_NAME = "imx8mm-eva-mi.dtb"
UBOOT_CONFIG_BASENAME = "imx8mm_eva_mi"

KERNEL_DEVICETREE = "\
freescale/imx8mm-eva-mi.dtb \
"

# fix vim / vim-tiny build error on XWayland
PACKAGECONFIG:remove_pn-vim = "${@bb.utils.contains('DISTRO_FEATURES', 'wayland x11', 'x11', '', d)}"
PACKAGECONFIG:remove_pn-vim-tiny = "${@bb.utils.contains('DISTRO_FEATURES', 'wayland x11', 'x11', '', d)}"

SERIAL_CONSOLES = "115200;ttymxc2"
ATF_BOOT_UART_BASE = "0x30880000"
TEE_LOAD_ADDR = "0x7e000000"

I got it working again by setting #define CFG_MXC_UART_BASE back to UART_BASE_ADDR(2), build the u-boot, set it again to ...(3), now its stuck at "Starting Kernel....", but thats a different problem
0 Kudos
LiLy505
Contributor I

Hello ,Now I have the same problem as you, but it doesn't work for me to use your method. Do you change anything else?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Sanket_Parekh
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dpog,

I hope you are doing well.

I got it working again by setting #define CFG_MXC_UART_BASE back to UART_BASE_ADDR(2), building the u-boot, set it again to ...(3), now it's stuck at "Starting Kernel....", but thats a different problem
=> Can you please specify how you are trying to change UART from 2 to 3 after the build?

Please provide me with u-boot defconfig, a board header file (include/configs/*.h), and output of printenv to debug this issue further.

Please also share imx8mm-eva-mi.dtb
One can send it over email if the above information is proprietary.

Thanks & Regards,

Sanket Parekh

0 Kudos
dpog
Contributor IV
Hi Sanket,
I meant, that I did a rebuild, after changing CFG_MXC_UART_BASE again back to UART_BASE_ADDR(3). After that it worked, seems that devtool didn't recognize the changes the first time. The dtb, defconfig and board header are merely a copy from the imx8mm_evk.

It is now working as it is supposed to.
0 Kudos