Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Porting AW-CM358 (NXP 88W8987) for IMX8MP Custom Board

Jump to solution
Wobaffet
Senior Contributor I

Hello, 

We are trying to port AW-CM358 (NXP 88W8987) for our custom board. We are using the SDIO interface for the wifi. We are getting the below error on boot with the below kernel config.

root@imx8mp-lpddr4-evk:~# dmesg | grep mrvl
[    3.240146] mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: Direct firmware load for mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin failed with error -2
[    3.252447] mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin
[    7.225014] mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: Failed to get firmware mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin
root@imx8mp-lpddr4-evk:~# modprobe moal
modprobe: FATAL: Module moal not found in directory /lib/modules/6.1.55+gf69f7ebd0ab9
CONFIG_BT_HCIUART_MRVL=y
CONFIG_BT_MRVL=y
# CONFIG_BT_MRVL_SDIO is not set
#CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM=y
#CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM_DEBUG=y
# CONFIG_LIBERTAS_THINFIRM_USB is not set
CONFIG_MWIFIEX=y
CONFIG_MWIFIEX_SDIO=y
# CONFIG_MWIFIEX_PCIE is not set
# CONFIG_MWIFIEX_USB is not set
# CONFIG_PWRSEQ_SD8787 is not set

If I change the configs from y to m, I can't find the .ko object to insert

Can you help with the issue?

Thank you in advance!

Best Regards.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @Wobaffet 

The errors you see occur because the driver cannot locate the firmware:

[    3.240146] mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: Direct firmware load for mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin failed with error -2
[    3.252447] mwifiex_sdio mmc0:0001:1: Falling back to sysfs fallback for: mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin

(path is relative to /lib/firmware/ directory, so driver is looking for /lib/firmware/mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin)

We would advise to use NXP Wifi/BT driver and firmware from NXP github, has explained below:

1/ Getting NXP Wifi/BT driver and firmware

- You can get NXP Wifi/BT driver from:

git clone http://github.com/nxp-imx/mwifiex.git
git checkout lf-6.1.55-2.1.0

- And NXP Wifi/BT firmware:

git clone https://github.com/NXP/imx-firmware

88W8987 chipset SDIO firmware is imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin

2/ Cross compiling the driver

You will need to setup the cross compiler for your host processor, then build the driver as follows:

cd mwifiex/mxm_wifiex/wlan_src && make KERNELDIR=<LINUX_KERNEL_SOURCES> build

The driver is composed in two kernel modules moal.ko and mlan.ko, located in mwifiex/mxm_wifiex/bin_wlan

3/ Copy driver and firmware to the target

Driver: copy mwifiex/mxm_wifiex/bin_wlan directory content to your host (.ko file in usual location, the other files in /lib/firmware/nxp/ directory)

Firmware: copy imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin to your host, usually in /lib/firmware/nxp/ directory

4/ Starting Wifi driver

Refer to README_MLAN for explanations

Driver is started by insmod'ing moal.ko (has dependancy to mlan.ko)

There are two ways to specify the drivers parameters:

- Using wifi_mod_para.conf file content to provide driver options:

modprobe moal mod_para=nxp/wifi_mod_para.conf

moal.ko driver will get its parameters from the wifi_mod_para.conf file, automatically load mlan.ko dependency and start downloading the firmware

Here is an example of wifi_mod_para.conf (should be located in /lib/firmware/nxp/ directory)

SD8987 = {
cfg80211_wext=0xf
max_vir_bss=1
cal_data_cfg=none
ps_mode=1
auto_ds=1
host_mlme=1
fw_name=nxp/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin
}

- Manually specifying driver options

In that case, you can use this kind of command: 

modprobe moal fw_name=nxp/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin cfg80211_wext=0xf cal_data_cfg=none host_mlme=1

Once firmware is loaded, ifconfig -a should show new network interfaces (by default mlan0 for STA mode and uap0 for AP mode)

Regards,

Olivier

View solution in original post

6 Replies
jackwu
Contributor I

Hello, do you have AM-CM358 WIFI and Bluetooth DTS sample code?

Because I want to implement the SDIO and Bluetooth UART functions of AM-CM358 on NXP i.mx8,

can you help me provide it? Thank you!

0 Kudos
cdoumenc
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi jackwu,

Do you confirm you are also using NXP Application Processor i.MX 8M Plus which is the context of the current topic (from Wobaffet) ?

Are you using NXP "Evaluation Kit for the i.MX 8M Plus Applications Processor" (https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/development-boards-and-designs/i-mx-evaluation-and-developm...

or

a custom board using NXP Application Processor i.MX 8M Plus ? 

Because dts content depends on the board hardware used.

Which SDIO and UART ports number are you using ?

Regards,

Christophe

0 Kudos
ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @Wobaffet 

The errors you see occur because the driver cannot locate the firmware:

(path is relative to /lib/firmware/ directory, so driver is looking for /lib/firmware/mrvl/sd8987_uapsta.bin)

We would advise to use NXP Wifi/BT driver and firmware from NXP github, has explained below:

1/ Getting NXP Wifi/BT driver and firmware

- You can get NXP Wifi/BT driver from:

git clone http://github.com/nxp-imx/mwifiex.git

- And NXP Wifi/BT firmware:

git clone https://github.com/NXP/imx-firmware

88W8987 chipset SDIO firmware is imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin

2/ Cross compiling the driver

You will need to setup the cross compiler for your host processor, then build the driver as follows:

cd mwifiex/mxm_wifiex/wlan_src && make KERNELDIR=<LINUX_KERNEL_SOURCES> build

The driver is composed in two kernel modules moal.ko and mlan.ko, located in mwifiex/mxm_wifiex/bin_wlan

3/ Copy driver and firmware to the target

Driver: copy mwifiex/mxm_wifiex/bin_wlan directory content to your host (.ko file in usual location, the other files in /lib/firmware/nxp/ directory)

Firmware: copy imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin to your host, usually in /lib/firmware/nxp/ directory

4/ Starting Wifi driver

Refer to README_MLAN for explanations

Driver is started by insmod'ing moal.ko (has dependancy to mlan.ko)

There are two ways to specify the drivers parameters:

- Using wifi_mod_para.conf file content to provide driver options:

modprobe moal mod_para=nxp/wifi_mod_para.conf

moal.ko driver will get its parameters from the wifi_mod_para.conf file, automatically load mlan.ko dependency and start downloading the firmware

Here is an example of wifi_mod_para.conf (should be located in /lib/firmware/nxp/ directory)

SD8987 = {
cfg80211_wext=0xf
max_vir_bss=1
cal_data_cfg=none
ps_mode=1
auto_ds=1
host_mlme=1
fw_name=nxp/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin
}

- Manually specifying driver options

In that case, you can use this kind of command: 

modprobe moal fw_name=nxp/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin cfg80211_wext=0xf cal_data_cfg=none host_mlme=1

Once firmware is loaded, ifconfig -a should show new network interfaces (by default mlan0 for STA mode and uap0 for AP mode)

Regards,

Olivier

Wobaffet
Senior Contributor I

Hello,

We've cross compiled the firmware. Is it possible to copy the generated binaries and kernel object files during yocto build process to the final image?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @Wobaffet 

This is basic Yocto knowledge.

You can add do_install() target to any bitbake recipe, something like:

# Copyright 2017-2022 NXP

FILESEXTRAPATHS:prepend := "${THISDIR}/files:"

IMX_FIRMWARE_SRC ?= "git://github.com/NXP/imx-firmware.git;protocol=https"
SRCBRANCH_imx-firmware = "lf-6.1.55_2.2.0"
SRC_URI += " \
    ${IMX_FIRMWARE_SRC};branch=${SRCBRANCH_imx-firmware};destsuffix=imx-firmware;name=imx-firmware \
"

SRCREV_imx-firmware = "7be5a936ce8677962dd7b41c6c9f41dd14350bec"

do_install:append () {
    install -d ${D}${sysconfdir}/firmware

# Install NXP Connectivity
    install -d ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp
    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/imx-firmware/nxp/wifi_mod_para.conf    ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp

# Install NXP Connectivity 8987 firmware
    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/ed_mac_ctrl_V3_8987.conf  ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp
    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/sd8987_wlan.bin           ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp
    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/sdiouart8987_combo_v0.bin ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp
    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/txpwrlimit_cfg_8987.conf  ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp
    install -m 0644 ${WORKDIR}/imx-firmware/nxp/FwImage_8987/uartuart8987_bt.bin       ${D}${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp
}

FILES:${PN} = " ${nonarch_base_libdir}/firmware/nxp/* "

Regards,

Olivier

ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @Wobaffet 

You can use i.MX Yocto Linux releases as a reference:

See Embedded Linux

README

You can get i.MX Linux Yocto recipes:

repo init -u https://github.com/nxp-imx/imx-manifest -b imx-linux-mickledore -m imx-6.1.55-2.2.0.xml
repos sync

And use below recipes as example:

# wifi kernel modules recipe

sources/meta-imx/meta-bsp/recipes-kernel/kernel-modules/kernel-module-nxp-wlan_git.bb

sources/meta-imx/meta-bsp/recipes-connectivity/nxp-wlan-sdk/nxp-wlan-sdk_git.inc

# Wifi Firmware recipe

sources/meta-imx/meta-bsp/recipes-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware_%.bbappend

Regards,

Olivier