cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Openocd on the MIMXRT1060-EVK

ryanwinter
Contributor I

Hey everyone, I

recently bought a MIMXRT1060-EVK. My development with other boards has been to use the gcc toolchain and debug using openocd.

So far I haven't had much luck getting openocd working with this board/cpu. Just checking if anyone had some tips here.

Ryan

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

ryanwinter
Contributor I

Thanks everyone, I have this working now :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos

saqlain_raza
Contributor I

Hi,

Can you please share some details around how you got this working ? The config files you used ?

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

fbeaulier
Contributor I

Hello Ryan,

I just bought an MIMXRT1060-EVK board and like you i want to use Openocd in order to debug and flash my code on this board.

As interface i guess cmsis-dap.cfg should work but what about the target ?

I can't find any iMXRT target or board, can you please tell me what you have done to make it work ?

Thank you for your help

François

0 Kudos

mkellner
Contributor I

As well, I am looking to build with gcc. 

I have found Section 5 of the document but it refers to directories in example code that don't exist.

slate:hello_world $ pwd

/Users/user/Downloads/nxp/SDK_2.7.0_EVK-MIMXRT1060/boards/evkmimxrt1060/demo_apps/hello_world@

slate:hello_world $ ls

board.c          hello_world.c    board.h        hello_world.mex

clock_config.c   hello_world.xml  clock_config.h pin_mux.c evkmimxrt1060_sdram_init.jlinkscript pin_mux.h   hello_world.bin

readme.txt

The docs refer to an armgcc directory, which I expect holds a makefile, maybe a linker map. But I don't see the armgcc directory here.

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Michael, 

The armgcc folder is located within each SDK project, see the image below. 

pastedImage_2.png

You can download the SDK from the following link: Welcome | MCUXpresso SDK Builder. Additional to this, you need to keep in mind the following note mentioned on the Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for EVK-MIMXRT1060 pdf, "The OpenSDA interface on your board is programmed with the J-Link OpenSDA firmware. If your board does not support OpenSDA, then a standalone J-Link pod is required.". The on-board debugger of the RT1060-EVK doesn't support the JLink firmware so you need a standalone JLink debugger.  

Regards, 

Victor 

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

J-Link support is now available for this board and any i.MX RT10xx board that has the LPC4322-based debug circuit (marked as "Freelink" on the schematic, but actually a clone of our LPC-Link2 architecture). Please see this application  note: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13206.pdf

0 Kudos

mkellner
Contributor I

Thank you. I realize I had chosen the wrong options when downloading the SDK.

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Ryan, 

When you download the SDK for the RT1060-EVK in the docs folder you will find a pdf named "Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for EVK-MIMXRT1060". Section 5 of this document explains how to run an SDK example using ARM GCC. 

Regards, 

Victor