OpenGL on iMX8MP using Debian (Bullseye)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenGL on iMX8MP using Debian (Bullseye)

Jump to solution
nickt1
Contributor II

Is it possible to use GL functions using Debian OS (Variscite IMX8MP)?

Our current nvidia Jeston board setup is using GLFW and GLEW ON Xorg to do this, but that's getting a bit behind the times now. I'm happy to use SDL(2?) or something else and move on up a bit to dodge X11/XWayland. The only requirement I have is to be able to use OpenGL (or EGL).

I can't get anything to work though other than basic X11 apps (no GL) and the supplied in weston apps. Is there a basic example app that I could get a look at?

Some curious snippets from 'ldd wetson-terminal' which runs just fine:

libX11.so.6 => /lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x0000ffffadf66000)
libEGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/vivante/libEGL.so.1 (0x0000ffffb6e6b000)
libGLESv2.so.2 => /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/vivante/libGLESv2.so.2 (0x0000ffffb6bcc000

I didn't think any X11 would be required to use weston. And I didn't think that EGL was supported on iMX8.

Should my app target GLESv2?

Thange in advance,

nickt

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nickt1
Contributor II

I've made some progress by linking against GLES. My app now runs, but there is only a black window. It has the correct title though.

I built glmark2 with flavour "wayland-glesv2" and that appears to work just fine (the score was 685)! So some progress. I guess I can pick the glmark2 code apart and see what it going on in there, but I wish there was a simpler example.

Does anybody have some tricks/hints that I can use to get up and running with a GLES context quickly?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nickt1
Contributor II

I've made some progress by linking against GLES. My app now runs, but there is only a black window. It has the correct title though.

I built glmark2 with flavour "wayland-glesv2" and that appears to work just fine (the score was 685)! So some progress. I guess I can pick the glmark2 code apart and see what it going on in there, but I wish there was a simpler example.

Does anybody have some tricks/hints that I can use to get up and running with a GLES context quickly?

0 Kudos
nickt1
Contributor II
I had to drop GLEW and also switch to GLESv2 instead of OpenGL. Instead of GLEW I used GLAD: https://glad.dav1d.de/ which generated all the code for me. I was also using GLFW and I still am as this works fine with GLAD. The real trick here was to use Wayland directly and not use X11 at all.
0 Kudos
Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

X11, I could not assure that is working with Mx8MP but you can play with wayland, but you have to build as Module the GPU since you are on debian and probably not supported kernel version.

Regards

0 Kudos