cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPU driver crash on i.MX8M-Mini with 4GB RAM

felixradensky
Contributor IV

Hello,

We're experiencing GPU driver (galcore) crash on our i.MX8M-Mini board with 4GB of RAM running latest NXP BSP 4.14.98-2.0.1. Restricting memory size to 3GB by passing mem=3G kernel command line parameter fixes the problem. Is this a known problem ? 

Felix.

3 Replies

r_trivedi123
Contributor IV

Hi, Even this issues still persist in kernel v5.15.71 in NXP BSP - kirkstone branch.

We faced it with one of our customer for sway compositor.

[   27.464790] etnaviv-gpu 38000000.gpu: AXI bus error
[   27.469745] etnaviv-gpu 38000000.gpu: MMU fault status 0x00000000
[   27.970450] etnaviv-gpu 38000000.gpu: recover hung GPU!

However we were able to resolve the issue and now its running smooth with the weston and sway compositor with 4GiB RAM usage.

As this was done for the customer we are unable to share the details, in case of support please reach-out to us on rutvij.trivedi@siliconsignals.io or visit www.siliconsignals.io.

--
BR

0 Kudos

Yuri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

According to section 2.1.2 (Cortex-A53 Memory Map) of i.MX 8M Mini  Reference Manual,

Rev. 1, 03/2019, only 3072MB of DDR Memory address area  are available for all modules,

including GPU. But address range, starting from 0x1_0000_0000 is accessible only 

by the ARM Cores.  This provides problem for NXP Linux, in particular for GPU DMA.  

Have a great day,
Yuri

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

felixradensky
Contributor IV

Hi Yuri

The following patch: linux-imx - i.MX Linux kernel  fixed GPU memory access for i.MX8M but missed to do the same for i.MX8M Mini. Adding check for "fsl,imx8mm-gpu" fixes the crash on Mini.

Felix.