Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M4 not booting on iMX6SoloX Sabre SD

Jump to solution
tonioch
Contributor III

Hello every one,

I'm working on iMX6SX Sabre-SDB platform. I'm currently trying to boot the M4 from the QSPI flash by following the document i.MX_6_Linux_Reference_Manual.

So, I renamed a basic printk application to m4_qspi.bin and I copied it on the first VFAT partition of the bootable SD card.

Then, in U-boot on the A9's side (UART1), I enter the following commands :

=> run update_m4_from_sd

SF: Detected N25Q256 with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 4 KiB, total 32 MiB

reading m4_qspi.bin

368 bytes read in 24 ms (14.6 KiB/s)

SF: 65536 bytes @ 0x0 Erased: OK

SF: 368 bytes @ 0x0 Written: OK

=> run m4boot

SF: Detected N25Q256 with page size 256 Bytes, erase size 4 KiB, total 32 MiB

## Starting auxiliary core at 0x78000000 ...

I can see that these two commands are working because of the answers of u-boot. Nevertheless, nothing is displayed on the M4's side (UART2).

Moreover, when I try to boot the A9's Linux image, the following error is displayed and I can't have access to the kernel anymore:

Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x0000000b

Is there something more to do in order to boot an image from QSPI to M4?

Could somebody tell me where I could find another M4's demo application to test?

One last thing, I'm using the distribution provided by Freescale with the evaluation board (L3.10.53_1.1.0_ga+g496fbe0).

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution
LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Antoine,

We don't have exactly that application, but you can use MQX to generate the application you want. Or the idle application mentioned in the AN5050 perhaps can help you.

Best Regards,

Luis

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Try to change the device tree:

setenv fdt_file imx6sx-sdb-m4.dtb

And add to boot parameters ‘uart_from_osc'

setenv mmcargs 'setenv bootargs no_console_suspend clk_ignore_unused uart_from_osc console=${console},${baudrate} root=${mmcroot}'

Regards,

Luis

tonioch
Contributor III

Hi Luis,

I tried the modification you suggested and it permits to boot the A9 even if the M4 is already up. So I don't have the kernel panic error anymore, thanks a lot.

Otherwise, do you know where I could find another image for the M4 like an idle image, which simply go to low frequency mode if I enter "S" on the M4 side?

Regards,

Antoine

0 Kudos
LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Antoine,

We don't have exactly that application, but you can use MQX to generate the application you want. Or the idle application mentioned in the AN5050 perhaps can help you.

Best Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos
tonioch
Contributor III

Hi Luis,

Yes the idle application mentioned in the AN5050 is exactly the one I need. But, unless I've mistaken, there is no indication in this document about where to find it.

Do you have some information about it? Do I have to use MQX to generate an equivalent?

Regards,

Antoine

0 Kudos
LuisCasado
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I have only the attached binary .

Luis

0 Kudos
tonioch
Contributor III

Hello Luis,

Sorry to bother you again but do you have the binary's source code ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
tonioch
Contributor III

Great it works now, I'm able to see something on the M4's side and to enter to low-power mode by pressing "S".

Thanks a lot Luis.

0 Kudos