Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LPC-Link2 as Debug probe for i.MX RT1170 -EVK

Jump to solution
SakSath
Contributor III

Hi,

I am trying to flash one of the example projects in the SDK on i.MX RT1170 board. However, I am not able to flash successfully due as the debug probe was not supported. We have a LPC Link2 available. However I am not sure how we have to connect or proceed with the flashing/debugging using LPC Link2.

I am using JLink for flashing/debugging and ARM GCC tools for building. 

Any guidance with connections/software checks will be of great help.

Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
SakSath
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou ,

After many attempts with KEIL and ARM GCC tools I found that the flashing issue resolved when I used MCUXpresso IDE. I am still not completely sure what setting could have gone wrong in KEIL or ARM GCC settings. However, for now I see MCUXpresso solves the flashing issue even without the LPC-Link2 Debug probe.

Thanks for all Your support! I am closing this thread!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
27 Replies
SakSath
Contributor III

Hi @kerryzhou ,

After many attempts with KEIL and ARM GCC tools I found that the flashing issue resolved when I used MCUXpresso IDE. I am still not completely sure what setting could have gone wrong in KEIL or ARM GCC settings. However, for now I see MCUXpresso solves the flashing issue even without the LPC-Link2 Debug probe.

Thanks for all Your support! I am closing this thread!

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SakSath ,

Thanks for your updated information.

Please try to test with this modification:

1. don't use the external power supplier, I mean the 5V supplier,  J38 move from 1-2 to 3-4.

2. Find another USB cable connect to the J20, then test it again, whether you can find the ARM core or not?

If still no, then please use the MCUBootutility to connect your board in the serial download mode, 

SW1:1-OFF,2-OFF,3-OFF,4-ON

https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility/releases/tag/v3.5.0
the related user manual is:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

Then test it again, whether you can use the MCUbootUtility connect the board in serial download mode, do the code downloading and reading.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos
SakSath
Contributor III

With the board selected to "MIMXRT1176xxx8_M4" I am able to get the prints in the Putty terminal as well. However, I am not able to understand how to erase the present image and flash a new image on to the board. Is there any document I can refer to to achieve this.

Thanks,

Saketh

0 Kudos
SakSath
Contributor III

Hi Kerry,

Will it be possible to have a call on this?

If So can You suggest a suitable time for You ?

Thanks!

Saketh

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SakSath ,

Now, your on board LPC chip enter the DFU mode, which is used to change the on board debugger firmware.

Do you want to change the debugger from CMSIS DAP to others? 

If you still want to use the CMSIS DAP, just remove the J22, check the picture again, you should can find the CMSIS DAP, then you can use the CMSIS DAP to debug the board with IDE.

If you want to use the JLINK, you need to download the LPCScrypt, then download the JLINK firmware, but that also need another USB cable for the powering on.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
SakSath
Contributor III

On removing J22 the sytem shows up as JLink and not CMSIS-DAP

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @SakSath ,

What's the MIMXRT1170 board you are using? If it is the NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK, it already has the on board debugger, it is the CMSIS DAP, you can use it directly, you don't need to use the external LPC-LINK2.

If you want to use the external debugger, you need to remove the on board debugger at first by the jumper.

kerryzhou_0-1658748857967.png

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos