L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga_mfg-tools tools issue for flashing on Nand flash onto I.mX6ULL EVK board

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga_mfg-tools tools issue for flashing on Nand flash onto I.mX6ULL EVK board

srishan
Contributor III

Dear I.mX Community,

Am using fsl-yocto-L4.9.11_1.0.0 bsps with L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga_mfg-tools on windows machine for flashing onto NAND, I got this version of mfg tools first working with SD card

W.r.t hardware modifications, we have just replaced only Nor flash with NAND without any other modifications in I.mx6ull evk

I am using  "mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs" with Nand flash chip foot print same as "MT29F32G08CBADBWP-12IT:D" as mentioned in i.mx6Ull eck schematics

The below is the vbs content:

Set wshShell = CreateObject("WScript.shell")
wshShell.run "mfgtool2.exe -c ""linux"" -l ""NAND Flash"" -s ""sxuboot=sabreauto""  -s ""sxdtb=sabreauto"" -s ""6uluboot=14x14evk"" -s ""6uldtb=14x14-evk"" -s ""board=sabreauto"" -s ""nand=nand"" -s ""nanddtb=gpmi-weim"" -s ""part_uboot=0"" -s ""part_kernel=1"" -s ""part_dtb=2"" -s ""part_rootfs=4""   "
Set wshShell = Nothing

Case 1 (prebuilt):
Initially I tried with prebuilt images (IMX6_L4.9.11_1.0.0_MFG_TOOL(REV L4.9.11_1.0.0)) by double clicking onto "
mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs" without modifying any cfg.ini and ucl.xml file

Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 rdinit=/linuxrc g_mass_storage.stall=0 g_mass_storage.removable=1 g_mass_storage.file=/fat g_mass_storage.ro=1 g_mass_storage.idVendor=0x066F g_mass_storage.idProduct=0x37FF g_mass_storage.iSerialNumber= mtdparts=gpmi-nand:64m(boot),16m(kernel),16m(dtb),1m(misc),-(rootfs) clk_ignore_unused

Case 2 (built):
I tried rebuilding the mfg tools in yocto build setup with "bitbake fsl-image-mfgtool-initramfs" as mentioned in section 6.2 of i.MX Yocto Project User's Guide(, Rev. L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga+mx8-alpha, 09/2017).

And in the built images case the kernel command line arguments I see is as below
Kernel command line: console=ttymxc0,115200 rdinit=/linuxrc g_mass_storage.stall=0 g_mass_storage.removable=1 g_mass_storage.file=/fat g_mass_storage.ro=1 g_mass_storage.idVendor=0x066F g_mass_storage.idProduct=0x37FF g_mass_storage.iSerialNumber= clk_ignore_unused

In both the cases, I see the below errors that is probe is failing
"imx6ul-pinctrl 20e0000.iomuxc: unable to find group for node gpmi-nand-1 
gpmi-nand: probe of 1806000.gpmi-nand failed with error -22"

And in both the cases it fails in at the same step " Erasing the boot partition" as attached in the snapshot and I have attached the mfg_tool log as well

ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: ExecuteCommand--Push[WndIndex:0], Body is $ flash_erase /dev/mtd0 0 0
ModuleID[2] LevelID[1]: PortMgrDlg(0)--MSCDevice--Command Push(no file) excute failed
ModuleID[2] LevelID[10]: CmdOperation[0], current command executed failed, so SetEvent(hDevCanDeleteEvent)

I tried in the procedure and the respective changes as mentioned in the below link, but still it is the same issue
https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-236994

Could you please retry on your board with L4.9.11_1.0.0-ga mfg tools with prebuilt and built images and let me know do you also face the same issue and if so, could you please let me know how this issue can be resolved

Kindly do the needful as early as possible, as am stuck with this issue from past 3 days , still now no clues

Eagerly awaiting for your replies

Many Thanks in advance

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sri

from log seems gpmi is not working at all, one can try to boot linux

from other media (like sd) and check if nand is working in linux.

Please use sect.3.4 NAND GPMI Flash attached Linux Manual.

Also what do you mean by:

"I am using  "mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs" with Nand flash chip foot print same
as "MT29F32G08CBADBWP-12IT:D" ? What is full nand part number, is it correct replacement.

Below detailed description of NXP Linux BSPs:

i.MX Software|NXP 

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

srishan
Contributor III

Dear Igor,

Thanks a lot for your prompt responses,

Will check and get back to you with full nand part number once again..

Meanwhile can this be tested using SD2? as the SD2 lines seems to be multiplexed with NAND data lines?

Am using L4.9.11_1.0.0 yocto version and mfgtools mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs script for programming it to NAND

Thanks,

Sri

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Sri

please check sect. 2.6 eMMC i.MX 6ULL EVK Board Hardware User's Guide
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/user-guide/IMX6ULLEVKHUG.pdf 

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos

srishan
Contributor III

Hi Igor,

Thanks for your prompt responses,

But still seems in the above doucment shared by you, it is mentioned in page in number 11 that

The data lines of NAND flash are multiplexed with the eMMC and MicroSD, so they cannot be used at the same time.

So could you please let me know is there any other way apart from SD2 and eMMC, how GPMI can be verified

Could you please validate in your i.mx6ULL EVK setup using L4.9.11_1.0.0 yocto version and mfgtools mfgtool2-yocto-mx-evk-nand.vbs script for programming it to NAND and could you please share me the logs??

Thanks,
Sri

0 Kudos