Is it possible to write compiled Yocto u-boot image over uuu tool to SD card?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to write compiled Yocto u-boot image over uuu tool to SD card?

HEXER
Contributor III

Greetings.

HELLO  community. I am new here and i am not native English speaker. I am from Turkey.

I have a MaaxBoard which has I.MX8MQ Soc in it. This board doesnt have a physical eMMC chip only have SD card option.

I have successfully compiled a Yocto image and burned it to my SD card via balenaEtcher application. It took about 4-5 hours to complete burning to my SD card. I am sure I have not a good usb sd card reader/writer device so ı want to use this board as a image writer.

There are two USB 3.0 ports on this board and one of them has a "Device" functionality (lower one). I connected this port to my windows machine, opened a console and typed .\uuu.exe -lsblk. This is the output:

PS C:\Users\xeh\Desktop\maaxboard\uuu> .\uuu.exe -lsusb
uuu (Universal Update Utility) for nxp imx chips -- libuuu_1.5.4-0-gbdea8bd

Connected Known USB Devices
Path Chip Pro Vid Pid BcdVersion
==================================================
2:4 MX8MQ SDP: 0x1FC9 0x012B 0x0001

so, i need to know that is it possible to write compiled Yocto u-boot image over uuu tool to SD card? if so please assist me.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

AldoG
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

Yes, it is indeed possible, as long as your Uboot image have fastboot utility enabled it should work. Please make sure that your defconfig have this enabled.

CONFIG_CMD_FASTBOOT=y
CONFIG_USB_FUNCTION_FASTBOOT=y
CONFIG_FASTBOOT_UUU_SUPPORT=y
CONFIG_FASTBOOT=y
CONFIG_FASTBOOT_BUF_ADDR=0x42800000
CONFIG_FASTBOOT_BUF_SIZE=0x40000000
CONFIG_FASTBOOT_FLASH=y

For flashing using UUU to SD card you'll need to use the following command:
uuu -b sd <Uboot bootloader>

Best regards,
Aldo.

HEXER
Contributor III

Sorry for my late reply, ı have some health issues and i cannot sit to a chair.

Actually, what i was searching was UMS mode and UMS mode in U-Boot solved my issue.

But i am getting slow speeds. When i run "mmc info" command it says "High Speed" and "Speed: 50000000Hz (50Mhz)". This board has i.MX8MQ soc and RM tells that it supports UHS104 mode of operation which is way faster than High Speed mode.

I checked dts files and defconfig files but i couldnt encounter any hint about the slow speed mode. Than ı come up with that may be applying logic level to some GPIO pins activates this mode and ı find out that "BOOT_CFG[3:1]" sets the "SD speed mode" according to the section 6.1.5.2.1 in the RM. At the end of the table it says basicly that i can set these bits over GPIO if BT_FUSE_SEL=0.

Wold you like to assit/help me? I can provide more details if you are interested.

Best regards.

0 Kudos