Inquiry Regarding Power Consumption for Eye Tracker Project on i.MX 8M Plus Evaluation Kit

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inquiry Regarding Power Consumption for Eye Tracker Project on i.MX 8M Plus Evaluation Kit

LiaGD
Contributor I

Dear NXP Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am currently exploring the feasibility of developing an eye tracker application using i.MX 8M Plus Evaluation Kit for a project. Before delving deeper into the technical implementation, I would like to inquire about the power consumption requirements of such a project.

The project involves the active utilization of several components, including the TPU (Tensor Processing Unit), the processor, a camera, infrared LEDs, and a potential USB connection for data transfer to a computer. Specifically, the goal is to develop an eye tracker capable of moving the mouse cursor on a PC screen according to the user's gaze.

To achieve this, the project will entail two distinct phases of operation:

1. Image Capture Phase: During this phase, the camera and infrared LEDs will be utilized to capture an image of the user's eyes and surrounding area.

2. Processing Phase: Subsequently, the captured image will be processed using the TPU and processor to determine the user's point of gaze on the screen. The processed data will then be transmitted to the computer, possibly via a USB connection.

Given these operational requirements, I am interested in understanding whether it would be feasible to power the entire system via USB 3.0, with a maximum current draw of 900mA.

Could you please provide insights into whether i.MX 8M Plus Evaluation Kit can support such a project within the specified power constraints? Additionally, any recommendations or considerations regarding power management for this application would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance. I look forward to your response and further discussions on this matter.

Best regards,
Lia Gomez

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Zhiming_Liu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @LiaGD 

This is test result with pmt tool on i.MX8MP PWR EVK, the VDD_SOC already more than 900mA.

Zhiming_Liu_0-1713231316104.png

You can use lower core frequency, shutdown other MIX units and unless PLLs, the current draw could less than 900mA. You can test on this board: https://www.nxp.com/design/design-center/development-boards-and-designs/i-mx-evaluation-and-developm...

Zhiming_Liu_1-1713231505265.png

Best Regards

Zhiming

0 Kudos