cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPU IC 1024x1024 limit

Jump to solution
haff
Contributor III

According to datasheet I see that there is limitation on IC output (frame size is up to 1024x1024 pixels). And looks like it was the problem when I have tried to work with 1280x1024 camera - it showed mosaic output but when i've set camera mode to some lesser resolution the image became normal.

But now i'm working with mfw_ipucsc gstreamer plugin and it looks like IC handles heigher resolutions after all. Although this plugin does not handles imagesize direct specification as element option you can use pads in a way like this:

gst-launch videotestsrc ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=320,height=240 ! mfw_ipucsc ! video/x-raw-yuv,width=1280,height=1280 ! queue ! vpuenc ! matroskamux ! filesink location=./test.avi

And this way I receive proper 1280x1280 scaled image. What did I missed? How can it work and to what exactly this 1024x1024 limit applies?

Labels (4)
1 Solution
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Haff,

In fact, some IPU operations have the limit of 1024x1024. For example, if you try to resize a small picture to over 1024x1024 using the /dev/mxc_ipu IOCTLs, it will return a wrong or truncated image.

Some plugins can split each frame, process both parts of this frame on IPU and show a higher resolution on a buffer. This should explain why you're seeing a video being encoded in a high resolution.

Rgds

Rogerio 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Haff,

In fact, some IPU operations have the limit of 1024x1024. For example, if you try to resize a small picture to over 1024x1024 using the /dev/mxc_ipu IOCTLs, it will return a wrong or truncated image.

Some plugins can split each frame, process both parts of this frame on IPU and show a higher resolution on a buffer. This should explain why you're seeing a video being encoded in a high resolution.

Rgds

Rogerio 

johnturnur
Contributor III

Hi,

Rogerio

Is there any patch available for large image Scaling using buffer splitting for imx6q?

-John

0 Kudos
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi John,

I think no patches will be needed. What do you need to do? Just re-scale a single image?

What processor are you using? i.MX6?

Rgds

Rogerio

0 Kudos
suryanarayana
Contributor I

Hi

I am using 1280x720 HD camera and 1280x800 LVDS display in i.MX6SDL platform. I want to resize  the 1280x720 camera data to 720x1280 and rotate 90 degree using IC for displaying on foreground. According to datasheet IPU IC,frame resolution is limit to 1024*1024 size for output.

Could you suggest me how can i achive my requirement.

I am working in ET kernel environment.

Regards

SuryaG

0 Kudos
johnturnur
Contributor III

Hi,

Rogerio

I am using imx6q.

I want to do VGA camera source from CSI to display it on 720p display source.

-John

0 Kudos
rogerio_silva
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi John,

I don't think it will need patches. Are you trying it on Linux?

Rgds

Rogerio

0 Kudos
johnturnur
Contributor III

Hi,

Rogerio

I have fixed it. No patch is required for it.

Thanks for reply.

-John

0 Kudos
haff
Contributor III

Thank you very match, just couple of hours ago heard similar version.

0 Kudos