Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8MP Boot from eMMC at Ethernet Port

Jump to solution
AlfTeleco
Contributor III

Hi everyone, 

IMX8MP lets configure several functions to its pads. In the case of uSDHC3 it can be set to boot from this pins depending on the mode ( ALT mode ) that it is configured: 

AlfTeleco_0-1624262943114.png

According to this it seems possible to wire an eMMC to the ethernet pins ( ENET ) of the IMX8 and use it in mode ALT6. 
This said: 

1. If I set uSDHC3 boot via pins or fuses, Which ALT mode is configured by default? 2 or 6?
2. Can this default ALT mode be changed? 

Right now we are working with the imx8mp lddr4 evk, which has the NAND pins multiplexed with the eMMC. The possibility of booting entirely from the eMMC suggests that when uSDHC3 boot mode is selected using boot pins, the bootROM selects ALT2 mode to stablish communication with the eMMC. 

3. Is this default behaviour changable so when we select uSDHC3 boot mode with boot pins, ALT6 pinmux mode is used instead ATL2?

If not, it seems that we are damned to boot always from NAND hosting the uboot and once we are at uboot load .dtb, drivers, etc that will allow kernel&rootfs loading from eMMC at the ENET pins.

Thanks in advance!

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alvaro

boot pin mux configuration (ALT mode for boot) is fixed (can not be changed) and described

in sect.6.1.5.4.8 IOMUX configuration for NAND, sect.Table 6-25. SD/MMC IOMUX pin configuration

i.MX 8M Plus Applications Processor Reference Manual

Best regards
igor

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Alvaro

boot pin mux configuration (ALT mode for boot) is fixed (can not be changed) and described

in sect.6.1.5.4.8 IOMUX configuration for NAND, sect.Table 6-25. SD/MMC IOMUX pin configuration

i.MX 8M Plus Applications Processor Reference Manual

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos