cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX8M Nano Industrial Grade with WiFi & PMIC problem

Krisna
Contributor II

Hi there,

We create custom board using IMX8M Nano Industrial Grade (MIMX8MN5CVPIZAA). The custom board using the same WiFi (AW-CM358SM) and PMIC (PCA9540) as IMX8M Nano DDR3L EVK. We create the board using the same schematic as EVK to simplify board bring up with slight difference to meet our need, but basically it's the same. The IO assignment between WiFi, PMIC and processor is exactly the same.

We understand that the EVK is using IMX8M Nano Commercial Grade (MIMX8MN5DVPIZAA), thus there is USB problem using hardknott release when using Industrial Grade processor as stated on this forum: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/imx8m-nano-unable-to-boot-starting-USB-Error/m-p/132415.... From that, we understand that the prebuilt binary is using zeus release.

So we proceed to build our image base on zeus release. Now it can boot, but it can't detect WiFi by using this command: modprobe moal mod_para=nxp/wifi_mod_para.conf

[ 47.149297] wlan: Loading MWLAN driver
[ 47.153771] wlan: Driver loaded successfully

When I call: connmanctl enable wifi

Error wifi: Method "SetProperty" with signature "sv" on interface "net.connman.Technology" doesn't exist

Not only there is WiFi problem, we found that PMIC is changing output voltage from 1.8V to 2.4V over time. Sometimes it's around 1-3 minutes to change output voltage, sometimes 8 minutes, basically below 10 minutes. We grounded POR_B so CPU is in reset state, the PMIC is not changing voltage, so we assume overtime the CPU commanding PMIC to change voltage via I2C.

So we try another release, here is the result:

- imx-linux-hardknott imx-5.10.72-2.2.0.xml & imx-5.10.35-2.0.0.xml: Error USB dev_get_parent_plat: null device
- imx-linux-zeus imx-5.4.70-2.3.6.xml: PMIC and WiFi fail
- imx-linux-honister imx-5.15.5-1.0.0.xml: For some reason stuck when flashing image after flashing bootloader via uuu emmc_all Serial Download Mode
- imx-linux-gatesgarth imx-5.10.9-1.0.0.xml: PMIC fail, WiFi not tested yet
- imx-linux-warrior imx-4.19.35-1.1.2.xml: Fail repo sync (The unauthenticated git protocol on port 9418 is no longer supported.)
- imx-linux-thud imx-4.19.35-1.0.0.xml: Fail repo sync (The unauthenticated git protocol on port 9418 is no longer supported.)
- imx-linux-sumo imx-4.14.98-2.2.0.xml: Fail repo sync (The unauthenticated git protocol on port 9418 is no longer supported.)

So basically we stuck for a week, we don't know if the problem related to firmware or hardware. WiFi and PMIC pretty much working on EVK that using commercial grade processor, but not on our custom board that using industrial grade processor. Any help, suggestion, or hint will be pretty much appreciated. Thank you for your time and assistance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply

shaun_wu
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Krisna 

Could you share your schematic to my email address shaun.wu@nxp.com if possible?

Best Regards

Shaun

0 Kudos