cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMX53 not booting from NOR

Jump to solution
bdp42
Contributor IV

I am attempting to boot the iMX53 from parallel NOR flash but it is failing to boot. It looks like it is failing early on in the boot process because I can see it is eventually attempting to boot over USB.

It's an Android based platform and the boot code is based on the ARD platform (Android R10.2). Booting from an SD card works OK and the modifications to boot from NOR were based on the SD bootloader. The main change is to move the offset of the code from 0x400 to 0x1000 (from the base of NOR). I've examined the contents of the Image Vector Table and also compared it to the SD card IVT image and, based on my understanding, they look correct. The boot mode pin settings are correct as far as I can tell.

The principle change I've made to the SD card boot code is to move the offset from 0x400 to 0x1000. I would expect everything else to remain pretty much the same. I appreciate the information is a bit miminal right now but perhaps someone can point to something obviously wrong with my thinking or suggest something to move things forward.

Thanks

Bruno

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Bruno

just changing offset is not sufficient. ITV should have all addresses in NOR range (starting with 0xF0000000),

processor will execute code from NOR, not copying to DDR. You should rebuild whole Uboot with changed

offset from 0x400 to 0x1000. Also seems NOR size may be not sufficient for whole image.

One can look at i.MX6 Linux BSP it has NOR boot option for ARD board.

SABRE for Automotive Infotainment Based on the i.MX 6 Series

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi, Bruno

just changing offset is not sufficient. ITV should have all addresses in NOR range (starting with 0xF0000000),

processor will execute code from NOR, not copying to DDR. You should rebuild whole Uboot with changed

offset from 0x400 to 0x1000. Also seems NOR size may be not sufficient for whole image.

One can look at i.MX6 Linux BSP it has NOR boot option for ARD board.

SABRE for Automotive Infotainment Based on the i.MX 6 Series

0 Kudos