cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to use the UUU tool?

anurag16doshi
Contributor II

Hey,

I am trying to use the UUU tool. I am completely confused and cannot figure out how to use this tool.

I have gone onto the github page and downloaded the uuu file for linux.(I have just downloaded the uuu file and not the tar.bz2 file)

I want to know the next steps to use it. Besides the fact that there is such an extensive documentation, I cannot figure out a way to use it. What are the steps to use it? Any easy tutorial video or exact steps would be highly appreciated.

TIA,

Anurag

0 Kudos
5 Replies

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

there is no TIMEOUT issue on windows 10.

Yes, you can also use uuu on ubuntu host.

weidong

0 Kudos

anurag16doshi
Contributor II
Hey Weidong,
I am working on the imx8mn evk board and am using the UUU tool to flash images on the board. I had been struggling to do this based on the instructions given in the MCUXpresso SDK provided by NXP for the board. I found that I have to use a different .bin file for flashing from the available Linux distribution for the board. I am now able to flash the board(atleast getting a successful flash message displayed on the board). But when I try to run the file that I flashed for the M7 core I do not get any output on PUTty.

I solved the above mentioned problem by using imx-boot-imx8mnddr4evk-fspi.bin-flash_ddr4_evk_flexspi instead of imx-boot-imx8mnevk-fspi.bin-flash_evk_flexspi

The commands I used to flash using UUU is:
$ sudo ./<UUU dir>/uuu -b qspi imx-boot-imx8mnddr4evk-fspi.bin-flash_ddr4_evk_flexspi <M7_program_file>.bin

What is the issue if the files are not running?

TIA
0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

imx-boot-imx8mnddr4evk-fspi.bin-flash_ddr4_evk_flexspi is for IMX8MN-DDR4-EVK, it means your evk is the version of DDR4.

and imx-boot-imx8mnevk-fspi.bin-flash_evk_flexspi is for iMX8MN-LPDDR4-EVK.

Have a nice day!

B,R,

Weidong

0 Kudos

weidong_sun
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Anurag,

See below, please!

---------------------------

1. Download demo image from the link
https://www.nxp.com/design/software/embedded-software/i-mx-software/embedded-linux-for-i-mx-applicat...
2. example script in demo image
decompress demo image, you will find samples subdirectory, which includes some example script:
--example_kernel_emmc.uuu
--example_kernel_nand.uuu
--example_spinor.uuu
3. modify scirpt for you board.
you can create a new script for your board on basis of above example script.
expecially images name in script shoud be the same as those of your images.
4. Using uuu on windows 10 command line
assume your images , uuu and script are in c:/uuu-program, then opreate it like this:
---Power off board
---set BOOT MODE to be Serial download mode.
---connect USB OTG port to PC USB by USB OTG cable.
---Power on board, then windows 10 will drive it as HID compliance device
---cd c:/uuu-program
---c:
----uuu xxxx.uuu
then uuu tool begins to program images into flash on board.
[comment]
you can use the command to program all images into flash on board.
---uuu uuu.auto (uuu.auto is also in demo image path)

5. other commands
you can see other commands in uuu.pdf, such as :
uuu -b emmc u-boot-imx
or
uuu -b sd uuu u-boot-imx

-----------------------------

Hope these steps are helpful to you.

Have a nice day!

B.R,

Weidong

anurag16doshi
Contributor II

Hey Weidong,

Thanks for your help. I am trying to flash an M7 example programming available in MCUXpresso SDK. I am running into an issue similar to the one faced in this(https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-Processors/Flashing-i-MX8M-Nano-EVK-using-UUU-Tool/m-p/1055123#M15...

2:21 1/ 1 [HID(W):LIBUSB_ERROR_TIMEOUT ] SDPS: boot -f imx-boot-imx8mnevk-fspi.bin-flash_evk_flexspi -skipfhdr

I am unsure why this error persists. I have looked up ways to resolve this but the solutions have not been helpful. One solution suggested I should use Ubuntu 16.14 which is also mentioned in the documentation provided by NXP for UUU. I believe this is a typo as I am not able to locate any version of Ubuntu 16.14 on the internet.

What does this error indicate?

Is there a way to resolve this error?

TIA

Anurag

0 Kudos