How to perform serial downloads on i.MX8QM with USB3 port?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to perform serial downloads on i.MX8QM with USB3 port?

YukioOyama
Contributor III

Hello all,

We are developing a product using your i.mx8qm and Linux. This is already our custom board.

We now want to run the serial downloader from USB3.

We have successfully serial download mode using the USB OTG1 port (it is a USB 2.0 port). However, serial download mode using the USB3 port is not possible. Your advice please.

We have allocated USB_SS3 and USB_OTG2 ports as Type C connectors. This USB_OTG2 port is not used as an OTG port, only as a host. The Type C controller is the power source, but the data is set to DRP (It's primary setting is the host. ).

When using USB_OTG1, the serial download mode is successful, so the boot mode should switch correctly.

Why can't I use serial download mode with USB_SS3? Are there any additional settings I am missing?

PC is Win10. Do I need any additional device drivers for the USB port (Type C port) to which I connect the serial download?

Best Regards,

Yukio Oyama

11 Replies

tanu500
Contributor I

Hello Yukio Oyama,

It sounds like you've made progress with USB2.0 but are facing issues with USB3. For USB3, ensure your board's USB_SS3 is properly configured as a host. Also, confirm you have the necessary USB drivers installed on your Windows 10 PC. Double-check your connections and try different USB cables if needed. If the issue persists, consider checking for any specific driver updates or consulting your board's documentation for USB3 configuration details. Best of luck with your project!

Regards
Tanu Sharma
0 Kudos

YukioOyama
Contributor III

I add.

And I don't know if there is a problem with the Type C controller's DRP settings or with the serial download mode, but it doesn't seem to appear on the Device Manager when the Type C is connected to the PC.

"uuu.auto" is below

----------------------

uuu_version 1.4.127

SDPS: boot -f ../imx-boot
CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x4000
CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x4025
CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x402F
CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x4030
CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x4031
CFG: FB: -vid 0x0525 -pid 0x4043
FB: ucmd setenv fastboot_buffer 0x82e00000
FB: download -f ../boot-tezi.scr
FB: ucmd setenv fastboot_buffer 0x82e10000
FB: download -f ../overlays.txt
FB: ucmd setenv fastboot_buffer 0x9c000000
FB: download -f ../hdmitxfw.bin
FB: ucmd setenv fastboot_buffer 0x8a000000
FB: download -f ../tezi.itb
FB: acmd source 0x82e00000
FB: done

------------------------------

Best Regards,

Yukio Oyama

Yukio Oyama

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Could you tell me which version of BSP are you using?

0 Kudos

YukioOyama
Contributor III

Hello Jimmychan-san,

It is based on BSP 5.4.70.

However, we debugged the type-C controller and found that our custom board was still in host (DFP) and not switched to device (UFP).

Also this is a new question, in serial download mode, is there a file that defines the CPU configuration like the device tree? If so, where is it located? Also, is USB3 defined to work in serial download mode as an initial value?

Best Regards,

Yukio Oyama

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Would you send me the schematic of the USB part?

If you don't want to show the schematic on community, you may submit a ticket to me and then send me the schematic.

(https://www.nxp.com/support/support:SUPPORTHOME) --> Submit a ticket

0 Kudos

YukioOyama
Contributor III

Hello Jimmychan-san,

Our CPU is an i.mx8QM, but we are using a Tradex Apalis computer module, and the schematic of the wiring to the CPU is not published. However, according to the Tradex documentation, the following USB3 signals connect directly to the CPU.

YukioOyama_0-1694564398551.png

Does this meet your requirements? Do you also need schematics for Type C connectors, Type C controllers, and SSTX/SSRX multiplexers? They are working fine as USB devices (DFP). I think no problem with the connectors and peripheral circuit.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello,

I am a software guy. I just want to make sure the hardware is no problem. So, I will check the schematic with our hardware engineer if you send me the schematic. Thanks.

Please let me know if you submitted a ticket.

Best regards,

Jimmy

0 Kudos

YukioOyama
Contributor III

Hello Jimmy-san,

I submitted a ticket.

Best Regards,

Yukio Oyama

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Please try to set the TPS65987 to UFP mode.

0 Kudos

jimmychan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Ok, got it. I will check it.

0 Kudos

YukioOyama
Contributor III

Hello Jimmychan-san,

I have configured the UFP but the type C controller does not switch to the UFP. I am checking with TI and debugging the type C controller.

Best Regards,

Yukio Oyama

0 Kudos