How to do bare metal debug in processor expert on MCIMX6UL-EVK using usb to uart connection on windows?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do bare metal debug in processor expert on MCIMX6UL-EVK using usb to uart connection on windows?

atmaprakashpand
Contributor I

Hi,

I am new to the processor expert software. My target is to make processor expert project with arm gcc cross compiler on windows.

I have successfully compiled my project on eclipse. Now, I want to debug my code using usb-uart connection(not JTAG)  on MCIMX6UL-BB board without linux (Bare metel).

I have also installed j-link (JLinkARM_V480.zip) software from segger website. When I am trying to connect to board using jlink gdb server, it is unable to connect. Do I have to change any switch settings on the board to make the usb-uart connection possible. Is jlink is the right option for debugging(Please suggest if any other methods are there).

So plz guide me the right way for bare metal application project debugging.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies

erickrieg
Contributor I

I'm able to debug a bare metal project (I started from one in the example directory from DS-5) using DS-5 on the A7.  I use the ulinkproD jtag pod.   I found it easier to not use a uart but instead semi-hosting working.  My difficulty was using M4 header files to get the full io map - the A7 seems far less well supported for bare metal than the M4 core

0 Kudos

atmaprakashpand
Contributor I

Hi igor,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I have completed all the steps given in the link that you gave. But still  I am unable to debug or run on bare metal.

Let me ask you this..

Can I debug or run my hello world project through Debug USB of imx6ul-evk board with out linux(only using baremetal)?

If it is possible, It would be grateful if  you could please give the steps to follow.

Thanks

Atma

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Atma

yes one can debug with jtag, had you attached jtag debugger ?

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

atmaprakashpand
Contributor I

Hi igor,

I did not attach the jtag debugger. Could you please suggest any jtag debuggers supporting imx6ul evk (contains arm cortex a7) board?

Thanks

Atma

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

one can use j-link

~igor

0 Kudos

atmaprakashpand
Contributor I

Hi igor,

Thanks for your suggestions and support.

Based on your suggestion,I am going to buy the jlink EDU model mentioned at https://www.segger.com/j-link-edu.html​.

Just for the confirmation, does the jlink EDU supports imx6ul-evk board or do I have to go for other jlink models(like jlink base etc.)?

Eagerly looking forward for your reply...

Thanks

Atma

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

yes jlink supports it.

Best regards

igor

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Atma

I am afraid without j-link it is not possible to use gdb

(using only usb-uart connection).

For j-link with gdb connection procedure one can look at

http://gnuarmeclipse.github.io/debug/jlink/install/

Best regards

igor

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos