How to change the core clock to the highest speed on i.MX8MN UL Solo?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the core clock to the highest speed on i.MX8MN UL Solo?

Jump to solution
T-Ii
Contributor III

Hi all,

My customer is using i.MX8M Nano UL Solo.

They want to change core clock to 1.4 GHz which is the highest speed for that processor.

They find a function "clock_init" in arch/arm/mach-imx/imx8m/clock_imx8mm.c.

it initializes core clock as below,

/* Configure ARM at 1.2GHz */
clock_set_target_val(ARM_A53_CLK_ROOT, CLK_ROOT_ON |
CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(2));

intpll_configure(ANATOP_ARM_PLL, MHZ(1200));

/* Bypass CCM A53 ROOT, Switch to ARM PLL -> MUX-> CPU */
clock_set_target_val(CORE_SEL_CFG, CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(1));

Customer has below questions about these codes.

1. what does "CORE_SEL_CFG" means? It is defined as 49, but I cannot find it in reference manual.
  2. function "intpll_configure" accepts 600MHz, 750MHz, 800MHz, 1000MHz, 1200MHz and 2000MHz.
    When it is set to 2000MHz is core frequency over clock state? or capped to maximum frequency?
  3. code "clock_set_target_val(ARM_A53_CLK_ROOT, CLK_ROOT_ON | CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(2));" seems to set "SYSTEM_PLL2_DIV2" as ARM_A53_CLK_ROOT. should it set to CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(2) ?

Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
T-Ii
Contributor III

I got an answer from NXP support team that it will be described in the next rev. RM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

refer to your code, do your customer want to change the cpu frequency in uboot ?I think maybe you misunderstand them, they should want to change the cpu frequency in kernel, right? pls double confirm this, if yes, they can refer to the chapter 2.5.3 CPU Frequency Scaling (CPUFREQ) of enclosed file

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III

My customer is planning to develop an application without LInux nor RTOS. So they reference u-boot.

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III
fix typo
> should it set to CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(2) ?
should it set to CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(1) ?
0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

for CORE_SEL_CFG" , you can find it from IMX8MM reference manual, I checked the imx8mm kernel, which SYSTEM_PLL1_CLK as root, maybe you can try this

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III

Thank you for the information.

I found the word "CORE_SEL_CFG" in IMX8MP reference manual, which have different source select from it in IMX8MM.

anyway, I will try to SYSTEM_PLL1_CLK in u-boot.

Please replay another questions.

0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

what question?

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III

these 2 questions I asked at the first post, 

> 2. function "intpll_configure" accepts 600MHz, 750MHz, 800MHz, 1000MHz, 1200MHz and 2000MHz.
When it is set to 2000MHz is core frequency over clock state? or capped to maximum frequency?

> 3. code "clock_set_target_val(ARM_A53_CLK_ROOT, CLK_ROOT_ON | CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(2));" seems to set "SYSTEM_PLL2_DIV2" as ARM_A53_CLK_ROOT. should it set to CLK_ROOT_SOURCE_SEL(2) ?

additionally, CORE_SEL_CFG has different source select in IMX8MM and IMX8MP. What source select does CORE_SEL_CFG have in IMX8MN UL?

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III
I have misunderstand 1 point. IMX8MP does not have CORE_SEL_CFG but ARM_A53_CLK_ROOT_SEL which have same slice index.
I want to know source select(s) in slice index 49 in IMX8MN.

Thanks
0 Kudos
joanxie
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

as I mentioned before, CORE_SEL_CFG is listed in the imx8mm, but imx8mn RM remove it, this should be the different from the imx8mm, the file you refer to is for imx8mm, maybe you can set according to the imx8mm, I'm not sure if this is available again for imx8mn

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III

Thank you for answer.

So, how to supply a maximum speed clock, 1.4GHz to A53 on i.MX8M Nano UL?

Which Clock source to set, and how to route it?

DS says the processor's speed grade is 1.4GHz (as below), but RM does not say how to do it.

Screenshot 2023-02-08 at 20-04-24 i.MX 8M Nano Application Processor Datasheet - IMX8MNCEC_datasheet-rev5.pdf.png

Is the CPU speed grade in DS wrong?

0 Kudos
T-Ii
Contributor III

I got an answer from NXP support team that it will be described in the next rev. RM.

0 Kudos