How to build image for imx8 target in sdk?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to build image for imx8 target in sdk?

anaseem
Contributor IV

For the imx8qxpmek evaluation board, I built yocto project for bsp release L4.19.35_1.1.0.  Then, I invoked following command to extract toolchain:

DISTRO=fsl-imx-xwayland MACHINE=imx8qxpmek bitbake core-image-minimal -c populate_sdk

A new folder is created in build/tmp/deploy/sdk

Inside sdk folder, there is filename:  fsl-imx-xwayland-glibc-x86_64-core-image-minimal-aarch64-toolchain-4.19-warrior.sh

I copied this script to /opt folder.  Then, I executed this script to install sdk.  I chose to have sdk installed in build/mysdk folder.  Inside mysdk folder, there is environment setup script:  environment-setup-aarch64-poky-linux.  I ran this environment setup script. 

I believe next step is to compile?  How do I build binary image that can be deployed in the target?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

anaseem
Contributor IV

As mentioned above, first I created a yocto project.  I programmed the image generated by yocto into sd card.  Then, I booted imx8 eval. board from the sd card.  

How will the build work with sdk?  Same set of source code files that were built by yocto can also be built by sdk?

How to build image from sdk?

Bio_TICFSL
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Amer,

I would recommend doing a complete cleanall.

It is my understanding that building the SDK should build all required files so you do not need to specify which image to build if you just want to build the SDK, but I may be wrong.

The BSP usually uses the meta-toolchain recipe to create the SDK so I’m more accustom to that way buy in the end both alternatives would perform the populate_sdk instruction.

please do:

bitbake fsl-image-machine-test -c populate_sdk

Regards

0 Kudos

anaseem
Contributor IV

Hello,

Thank you for responding to this question. 

>> I would recommend doing a complete cleanall

Why?  NXP expert provided me detailed steps for creating following four steps:

1. Create Yocto Project
  2. extract toolchain from Yocto Project
  3. run script to install sdk
  4. run script to setup sdk environment

Why undo all this?

Please provide detailed steps for moving forward.  What is the next step?  To build Linux image from sdk, load it in sd card and boot target board from sd card?  If yes, are the same set of files that were compiled from yocto will be compiled from sdk?

0 Kudos