How do I flash i.MX6 Solo X bare-metal code to onboard eMMC?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I flash i.MX6 Solo X bare-metal code to onboard eMMC?

m4l490n
Contributor V

Hello, everybody.

Here is what is happening.

I'm using the code found in the i.mx6 solox for dummies thread and it compiles just fine. I was able to compile it using GNU ARM Toolchain in eclipse and it is working out of the box in the sabre board, also in the UDOO-Neo board (Introduction - UDOO Neo Docs ).

After I have compiled the code I just execute.

sudo dd if=cortex-a9.bin of=/dev /mmcblk0 bs=1k seek=1 skip=1 && sync

And the code is placed into the SD card wich, in turn, I use on the sabre board and works just fine.

Since my board is different I had to change the values found on the plat_startup.h file in all the "ASM_REG32_WR" lines from the original values to the ones we use. I have left everything else unchanged.

Since I don't have an SD card, unlike the sabre and the UDOO, on my board, but instead I have an eMMC I can't copy the A9 binary to the flash as easy as with an SD card. So I'm trying to use the manufacturing tool Linux image to try to flash the binary into the eMMC but I haven't been successful.

So my question is, could you please help me to find a way of flashing the cortex-a9.bin bare-metal code into my onboard eMMC?

I don't know if the MFG tool image is the way to do it but I can't think about anything else. Also a solution from the thread https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-106253 does not help because that is loading the .bin file to RAM and I need to flash my onboard eMMC.

Thanks for helping!!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Manue

you are right, one can try this with mfg tools, however its firmware should

be rebuild for using with custom board ddr. Also one can consider uboot or attached

baremetal mmc example, running it from jtag.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

m4l490n
Contributor V

Thanks for helping igorpadykov‌, I just have a couple of questions because I think I don't understand your comment.

First, what do you mean by 

... its firmware should

be rebuild for using with custom board ddr ...

How do I achieve this?

And second, could you please explain how the attached code can help me to successfully flash my bare metal code into my onboard eMMC using the manufacturing tool?

Thanks for helping! 

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

for new board first ddr test should be run

https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-105652 

then new calibration coefficients should be entered to uboot *.cfg file

uboot-imx.git - Freescale i.MX u-boot Tree 

and mfg tools firmware (files found in mfg tools folder /OS Firmware/firmware)

should be rebuilt using sect.6.2 Manufacturing Tool, MFGTool attached document

Attached files just for baremetal programming with jtag, not using mfg tool

Best regards
igor

0 Kudos