Google camera and Imx camera HAL inclusion query

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google camera and Imx camera HAL inclusion query

yadav
Contributor II

We have faced a crash in Google camera during boot. While reviewing device.mk file I got to know we have  the inclusion of both camera HALs (Google and NXP i.MX) in our Android build configuration, and I would appreciate your assistance in understanding the rationale behind this decision

PRODUCT_SOONG_NAMESPACES += hardware/google/camera
PRODUCT_SOONG_NAMESPACES += vendor/nxp-opensource/imx/camera

Could you please help us to get understand why both the camera HAL has been added. Can we remove Google camera HAL inclusion. I have tested we dont have any issue with UVC camera operation if we remove Google Camera HAL inclusion. Everything is working fine.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

yadav
Contributor II

Hi @brian14 , Could you please help us to get to know about Google camera
1)Whether nxp is going to provide libimxcamerahwl_impl support for 32bit also?
2)What is the specific use of Google Camera HAL? Is it added to support Google camera software.
Because on our testing camera is functioning properly without Google Camera HAL.
What specific test we need to test when we remove Google camera.

0 Kudos

brian14
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @yadav

Thank you for contacting NXP Support.

In this case the Google Camera HAL offers a generic interface to control the camera. On the other hand, NXP's Camera HAL is specific to our hardware specification. However, removing Google Camera HAL requires to test all the functionalities that you want to perform in your application and then remove it is causing issues in your Android build.

Have a great day!

yadav
Contributor II

Thanks @brian14 for your support.

Google camera is loading libimxcamerahwl_impl.so library but 32bit architecture is not supported by this library.Only 64bit was supported.

We can see only arch64 support for libimxcamerahwl_impl.so in source/vendor/nxp-opensource/imx/camera/Android.bp
Thats why for 32bit Google Camera is facing crash. We need 32bit only because we have seen significant improvement in boot time.

Earlier we have asked the same question for 32bit Google Camera HAL support.
https://community.nxp.com/t5/Whirlpool-Wistron-HMI/Android12-32-bit-only-userspace-build-bootup-issu...

GCH_CameraProvider pid-1304 I CreateHwl:Loading /vendor/lib/libimxcamerahwl_impl.so library
GCH_CameraProvider pid-1304 E CreateHwl: dlsym failed (/vendor/lib/libimxcamerahwl_impl.so).
GCH_CameraProvider pid-1304 E Initialize: Creating CameraProviderHwlImpl failed.
GCH_CameraProvider pid-1304 E Create: Initializing CameraProvider failed: No such device (-19).
GCH_HidlCameraProvider pid-1304 E Initialize: Creating CameraProvider failed.
GCH_HidlCameraProvider pid-1304 E Create: Initializing HidlCameraProvider failed: No such device(-19)

Could you please help us to get to know
1)Whether nxp is going to provide libimxcamerahwl_impl support for 32bit also?
2)What is the specific use of Google Camera HAL? Is it added to support Google camera software.
Because on our testing camera is functioning properly without Google Camera HAL.
What specific test we need to test when we remove Google camera.

0 Kudos