Getting Started with i.MX 6Q

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Started with i.MX 6Q

peterpaquette
Contributor II

We are building a custom i.MX 6Q based computing module based on the SABRE Platform for Smart Devices.

The main issue we are having is finding all the pieces of documentation and software for creating a custom build.

I have stumbled upon many resources by googling and finding links to the nxp.community forums and many old links to freescale documents but I have no idea if they are the latest versions or if they even work together.  Why is there no "one" repository with all the documentation and software tools for developing custom bootloaders, kernel images, drivers, etc?  If I have overlooked it, please let me know, but I have been searching for a while.  For instance, this site (NXP community for iMX) has a link under "Design Resources" for "i.MX 6 Series Software and Development Tools" -> that leads to nothing.  That's right, nothing.  Just a generic NXP page.  You can navigate through about 5 levels from there to find the generic i.MX 6Q page and under the "Software and Tools" tab you can find some of the tools you need, but not all.

What I want?  Simple.

1) A simple powerpoint or checklist showing the tools I need, the order to employ them in, and the outputs from one stage to the inputs of the next stage to bring this complicated process to its knees and the bend the will of the i.MX 6 platform to my whims.

2) A single repository where I can download the tools listed above.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Peter Paquette,

I agree that the website may be difficult to navigate. There is no single repository available so I cannot provide that. However, the closest would be the SABRE board webpage below:

http://www.nxp.com/products/microcontrollers-and-processors/arm-processors/i.mx-applications-process...

You may find the documentation and software downloads on the respective tabs.

The question you would need to ask yourself is if you would like to use Linux or Android. Then you would need to look for the documentation under Documentation –> Supporting information.

L4.1.15_1.1.0_LINUX_DOCS – Linux 4.1.15 Documentation
IMX6_M6.0.1_2.1.0_ANDROID_DOCS – Android Marshmallow Documentation
IMX6_L500_101_ANDROID_DOCS - Android Lollipop Documentation

In the case of Linux all source code is fetched on demand, so the Yocto User’s Guide inside the documentation should be enough to get started.

Android patches/source code, on the other hand, should be downloaded from the Software & Tool -> Board Support Packages section. Then follow the directions on the Android User’s Guide.

IMX6_M6.0.1_2.1.0_ANDROID_DEMO_SD_BSP - Android Marshmallow BSP
IMX6_L500_101_ANDROID_SOURCE_BSP - Android Lollipop BSP

(There are also Demo Images available for download in case you wish to test either the Android or Linux BSP without building it yourself).

The other tool you may need is the Manufacturers tool, which is available under Software & Tool -> Programmers (Flash, etc.). This tool serves to load the Android image to the board more easily (the other alternative is creating the partitions and loading the different contents manually). You may also use the Linux BSP and the manufacturing tool but it’s usually easier to load an image in .sdcard format with a dd using Linux.

I hope this helps out to figure things out. It certainly would be better to have a more compact and clearer structure for all this information, but right now this is the best I can do for now.

If you need more details on a certain BSP or tool please let me know!

Regards,

0 Kudos

peterpaquette
Contributor II

This is a great example of what I’m talking about. We based our board on the link that you suggested. I have seen all of those documents (a measly 4 – 2 repeats others are just simple guides).

Specifically we are looking for a Linux build. (If that helps narrow the answer space).

What I’m looking for (I believe, based on what I’ve pieced together is):

Checklist for board bring up

(Visual Inspeciton -> SoC voltage rail checks / PMIC Programming -> power up sequencing -> Probe clock inputs -> JTAG -> Etc)

DRAM Register Programming Aid -> Specifically LPDDR2 configuration tool (latest version)

How to run basic DDR initialization and memory tests?

How to get the output from DRAM tool into BSP (I believe) after basic test?

How to run DRAM stress tests and when?

BSP Porting guide

IO Mux tool (latest version)

How to get output from IOMUX tool compilation into BSP/Kernel

… (Are these in basic order? Are there more or missing tests?)

These steps, in a nice little presentation – I have seen old Freescale versions that come close to what I’m looking for but not from scratch or anything recent from NXP.

0 Kudos

gusarambula
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Peter Paquette,

You may find the DDR Stress Tool and how to use it on the following Community Document:

https://community.nxp.com/docs/DOC-105652

As for BSP Porting Guide there is an i.MX BSP Porting Guide available as part of the Documentation Bundle for the Linux BSP so I would suggest to review this document.

The Pin Mux tool for i.MX is available on the link below under Downloads. Please look in the Software section for the Pins Tool for i.MX Application Processors V2.0 for either Windows or Linux depending on your desired OS.

http://www.nxp.com/products/software-and-tools/software-development-tools/processor-expert-and-embed...

The help contents inside the tool cover the basics on how to use it  although it’s more intuitive than the Processor Expert release.

I hope this information helps!

Regards,

0 Kudos