cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashing the image

shauravdas
Contributor I

Hi Manuel,

I am evaluating the iMX8QM-MEK board and have followed your document DOC-343178.

I am facing issues in the last stage where we flash the .bin file into the SD card. Firstly, my new SD card enumerates in the system as /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1 and not anything like /dev/mmcblkX as mentioned in the document. Proceeding further, the flashing seemingly completes successfully but once I slot the card in the MEK board and power it up, No data appears on the serial console. I am using a 16 GB microSD card from Strontium with an SD adapter and building SCFW-only image with DL=3 so that init messages from the SCFW appear on serial console.    

3 Replies

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davs,

I’m afraid that i.MX8QM family is still on preproduction, and we cannot provide additional information or support through this channel yet. In case of requiring help about i.MX8QM, please directly contact with your Sales/FAE.

As a general hint, when a SD is inserted on a embedded SD slot of the computer, it is typically listed as /dev/mmcblkX, while when using a USB-SD reader, it is typically listed as /dev/sdX.

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

shauravdas
Contributor I

Thanks for the hint Carlos! 

Could you please confirm one more thing?

I suspect that in case of "/dev/mmcblkX" the card enumerates as a block device where as in case of "/dev/sdaX" it is enumerated a char device. 

If this is the case then probably "bs=1k seek=32" part of the command is ineffective.

Please confirm.

0 Kudos

CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Davs,

I think it is more related to the number of partitions of the SD when it is inserted to the Linux PC. If the SD card has two partitions and is inserted with a USB-SD reader, the card as entire volume is listed as /dev/sdb, while its first partition will be /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdc2 its second partition.

When accessing to the same SD card with an embedded SD slot, the entire volume is detected as /dev/mmcblk0, while the first and second partitions are detected as /dev/mmcblk0p1 and /dev/mmcblk0p2 respectively.

The “dd” command is typically applied on the entire volume. If you want to verify the volumes and/or partitions, you could use the following command:

cat /proc/partitions

Hope this will be useful for you.
Best regards!
/Carlos
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

0 Kudos