Display artifacts going to suspend

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display artifacts going to suspend

ivanpankratov
Contributor II

Hello, I am investigating a strange behavior on iMX53 while going to suspend. Sometimes (rare) during switching to suspend display shows splash screens of red, then green, then blue, then chess board and then reset. Looks like oops or panic, but no panic dump is generated. I am pretty confident that we don't have any such functionality implemented in our software. For me it looks like something bad occurs in IPU and it tries to signal about that with these splash screens.

Does that make any sense to anybody? I am quite stuck with this and any clue would be very appreciated.

Thanks, Ivan

Labels (1)
5 Replies

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ivan

it makes sense to test memory with ddr tester

Lab and Test Software (2)
DDR Stress tester kit for the i.MX51 and i.MX53(REV 1)
http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/pmics/power-management-for-i.mx-application-processors/...

check linux sources (..mach-mx5/suspend.S) on that page and try to reproduce

this on nxp reference board.

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ivanpankratov
Contributor II

DDR stress test did not reveal any fault. Still would like to get comment on my previous question. Could you please elaborate why do you suspect the memory failure? Thank you.

Ivan

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

what bsp used in the case? Please try with latest nxp officilal releases from

Board Support Packages (8)
http://www.nxp.com/products/power-management/pmics/power-management-for-i.mx-application-processors/...

for others please post issue on mainline linux mail list

Best regards
igor
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

ivanpankratov
Contributor II

Our device is based on SABRE platform with latest BSP, but it is not so important now.

I just want to understand the nature of that behavior.

Assuming there is a memory failure. How can this lead to a display showing a chess board pattern?

Can you please explain? Thanks.

0 Kudos

ivanpankratov
Contributor II

Hi Igor

thank you for the clue. I am running the DDR stress test now on our HW with our settings, so far so good.

Could you please explain in a bit more details your understanding of the failure here. Where those splash screens come from? Are they hardcoded in FW, or even deeper in HW? I went through the code of suspend.S you pointed out and could not find any reference to such behavior.

Thank you

Ivan

0 Kudos