Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDR4 pin connections for i.MX8M Nano UltraLite Solo 11x11mm package

Jump to solution
AaronElijah
Contributor II

Hello,

My team and I are seeking a bit of clarification on implementing DDR4 memory as the external memory for i.MX8M Nano UltraLite Solo (MIMX8MN1CVPIZAA). This uses the 11x11mm package. However, when looking at the design guide (IMX8MNHDG.pdf), we can see from Table 21 that the DDR4 function pin PARITY (aka CA Parity or Par) cannot be assigned to the DRAM_AC27 ball as it isn't present on the 11x11mm package. I've attached the table for reference.

Screenshot 2023-11-15 at 14.12.24.png

For context: myself and my team are designing a SOM, which is based on the i.MX 8M Nano DDR4 EVK board and follows the hardware user guide (IMX8MNEVKHUG). 
Our DDR4 external memory part number is MT40A1G16RC-062E, which according to this post is a validated memory.

I'm pretty sure that the Parity pin can be left unused (floating) in DDR4 so the IMX8M nano ultralite solo should still support DDR4.

1) Is this correct, that we can use DDR4 with this processor? If not this means that IMX8M Nano UL Solo may not support DDR4 which seems to contrast with the fact sheet and we'll need to switch to LPDDR4 or DDR3.

2) Is NXP aware of any other changes that may be required for DDR4 to work with the 11x11mm package?
For example, do we need to make edits to the ddr_init functions in u-boot to disable C/A Parity checks in the DDR4 memory?

Thanks for reading this!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I hope you are doing well.

Yes it is supported and can be leaved unconnected. The parity feature needs to be disabled via software configuration in MR5.

Best regards.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, I hope you are doing well.

Yes it is supported and can be leaved unconnected. The parity feature needs to be disabled via software configuration in MR5.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
AaronElijah
Contributor II
Hi Jorge,

Appreciate the clarification! Is there any tooling or documentation that NXP provides for DDR initialization code? I'm aware of the Config tool for i.MX, can that be used to generate code as well?

Cheers,
0 Kudos
JorgeCas
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sure, you can use it.

Best regards.

0 Kudos