Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current consumption of GPIO

Jump to solution
Bitesh
Contributor II

Hi,

I'm using i.MX6solo processor MCIMX6S5EVM10AD. I want to know the maximum current required for GPIO.

I was going through the datasheet and found on page 29 the currents values, I have attached the image of power rails.

I have following two queries.

1. What is N=10, N=29 etc. given in front of all the Pins in 2nd column. Is it number of Pin under that module ? 

2. In the reference manual on Page 11 in section 29.2 it is given as there are total 206 GPIO. If I substitute N=206 in the formula Imax = N x C x V x (0.5 x F) given on page 30 of datasheet then for C= 10pF V=3.3V F=800MHz we get I=2.7A

Is 2.7A correct value ?  Also this 2.7A will be consumed by processor via NVCC_GPIO rail or any other power rail ? 

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Bitesh

Labels (3)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Bitesh,

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel

View solution in original post

3 Replies
riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Bitesh,

I hope you are doing well.

Please see the response to your questions below:

1. What is N=10, N=29 etc. given in front of all the Pins in 2nd column. Is it number of Pin under that module ? 
[NXP]: Yes, "N" represents the number of IOs used under the particular power domain.

2. In the reference manual on Page 11 in section 29.2 it is given as there are total 206 GPIO. If I substitute N=206 in the formula Imax = N x C x V x (0.5 x F) given on page 30 of datasheet then for C= 10pF V=3.3V F=800MHz we get I=2.7A

Is 2.7A correct value ?  Also this 2.7A will be consumed by processor via NVCC_GPIO rail or any other power rail ?
[NXP]: The current consumption cannot be calculated in that way. The current consumption of each power domain shall be calculated separately since the number of IOs, clock rate, and capacitance will be different for each power domain.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel

0 Kudos
Bitesh
Contributor II

@riteshmpatel  Thanks for your reply.

So Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

NVCC_ENET has N=10 and NVCC_SD1 has N=6 then there current consumption will be different based on N, voltage, clock and capacitance the ENET and SD1 modules will draw different current.

Regards,

Bitesh

0 Kudos
riteshmpatel
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Bitesh,

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Thanks & Regards,
Ritesh M Patel