Configuring UBOOT for imx8mm using BD7184 PMIC

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring UBOOT for imx8mm using BD7184 PMIC

andrewgatrost
Contributor II

I am trying to bring up a board with a BD7184 PMIC, It was unable to find it when I built it using the nxp evk for a base start with buildroot.

Currently I am using version uboot-imx-lf-6.1.1-1.0.0.  Is this the latest and longterm support? or should I use a different release?

I have attached my uboot config as well for I am having build errors as follow:
board/freescale/imx8mm_evk/spl.c: In function ‘board_init_f’:
board/freescale/imx8mm_evk/spl.c:322:9: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘power_init_board’; did you mean ‘i2c_init_board’? [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
322 | power_init_board();

drivers/power/pmic/pmic_pca9450.c: In function ‘power_pca9450_init’:
drivers/power/pmic/pmic_pca9450.c:16:26: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘pmic_alloc’ [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
16 | struct pmic *p = pmic_alloc();
| ^~~~~~~~~~
drivers/power/pmic/pmic_pca9450.c:16:26: warning: initialization of ‘struct pmic *’ from ‘int’ makes pointer from integer without a cast [-Wint-conversion]
drive

Any help on figuring out the config or what I should do to resolve this issue would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Andrew

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @andrewgatrost,

I hope you are doing well.

One should use u-boot-imx provided at https://github.com/nxp-imx/uboot-imx

Please remove the below options from the configuration.

CONFIG_DM_PMIC_BD71837=y
CONFIG_DM_PMIC_PCA9450=y

In the Latest rev. of imx8mm EVK BD71837 PMIC is replaced by PCA9450. therefore the base configuration for imx8mm evk only supports PCA9450 in the latest u-boot.

One needs to do the below change in the configuration header file(/include/configs/imx8mm_evk.h).

- #if defined(CONFIG_IMX8M_LPDDR4) && defined(CONFIG_TARGET_IMX8MM_EVK)
- #define CONFIG_POWER_PCA9450
- #else
- #define CONFIG_POWER_BD71837
- #endif
+ #define CONFIG_POWER_BD71837

Please make corresponding changes to the device tree as well. (/arch/arm/dts/imx8mm-evk.dtsi).

Please refer to below mentioned commit for pmic node changes in dts.

imx8mm_evk: Switch to new imx8mm evk board

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos

andrewgatrost
Contributor II

@Dhruvit 

Thank you for your advice, I am testing it out currently, I won't know until morning when I can make all the other adjustments once I get all the downloads. Also while getting the proper uboot set up, I was also wondering which version of linux and arm trusted firmware should be used as well? Also do the uboot-tools need to match the uboot version?

Thank you,

Andrew

0 Kudos

Dhruvit
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @andrewgatrost,

I hope you are doing well.

One should use the latest version of ATF and Linux as specified in i.MX Linux Release notes.

Linux -> lf-6.1.y 

ATF -> lf_v2.6

Please refer to Table 5. i.MX GitHub Distributions Repos in i.MX Linux Release notes for github repos.

Thanks & Regards,
Dhruvit Vasavada

0 Kudos