cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic Text Overlay

xortan
Contributor I

Hello everyone,

Brand new to this board, and engineering in general, so please bear with me :smileyhappy:

Basically I would like to know where I need to look in order to add text overlay to a video - I've looked at the Image Processing Unit (IPU), Gstreamer, and the PiXel Pipeline (PXP) and have seen some things in there that may help but I'm getting bogged down and confused with all the information that is there. If somebody could narrow down where I need to look in order to do this that would be great.

Here is a description of the application that I am using this for. Basically we got this DVR that is using the iMx6 Solo processor. I am designing a board that interfaces with this processor using UART communications. The board I'm designing will receive command either from a keyboard or membrane switch and based off this change some settings. An example would be a button on the membrane switch which will cause a menu to be displayed on the screen. Not looking to do anything fancy with it right now, just want the UART command that is sent to the IMx6 to turn the menu on/off and to navigate through it.

If you need more information please don't hesitate to ask.

Thank-you and I look forward to your replies.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jamesbone
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Alex,

You can dismiss all related to the PXP if you are not using an EPD Display application. And then focus on the IPU, especific in the VDIC (video de-Interlaced) which it is the module that can make the combining in the IPU.  In case you are using the EPD then dismiss the usage of the IPU and focus on the PXP.

In case you are using the IPU please check this post:

Small video window overlay on UI

The steps are basically the same for adding the text. Hope this helps.

Have a great day,
Jaime

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

subodh
Contributor III

Please refer to the reference manual and Linux user guide from the documentation tar.

Facing similar issues with OSD using direct FB, but atleast the guides will get you started in right direction.

0 Kudos