cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

beekit is it necessary

Jump to solution
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

i want to design my own board based just on MC13237 ,all the other pripherial and the other component i will choose it ,i want to implement a program for example wich allow to open the door or switch light (home automation) ,my question is can i design my own board based on MC13237 ??and if beekit  is it necessary??wand what do i need to design this board ??

regards,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

Yes, you could always design your own board for your custom implementation whenever desired. However, since designing  a board from scratch might be time-consuming (specially due to the RF part of it), we offer some reference designs to ease your development process.

You may use such reference designs as starting point for your custom board design. The packages contain all the necessary files such as gerbers, layout, schematic and BOM. They have been tested to work, and they would definitely be the best way to start your custom design.

To download them, please browse to Software & Tools tab of MC1323x website.

Link: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC1323x&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Regarding BeeKit, you do not need it to design your own hardware if that is what you meant. However, in terms of software, BeeKit will be necessary to generate the corresponding projects to later be loaded to your boards.

Regards,

AngelC

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

Yes, you could always design your own board for your custom implementation whenever desired. However, since designing  a board from scratch might be time-consuming (specially due to the RF part of it), we offer some reference designs to ease your development process.

You may use such reference designs as starting point for your custom board design. The packages contain all the necessary files such as gerbers, layout, schematic and BOM. They have been tested to work, and they would definitely be the best way to start your custom design.

To download them, please browse to Software & Tools tab of MC1323x website.

Link: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MC1323x&fpsp=1&tab=Design_Tools_Tab

Regarding BeeKit, you do not need it to design your own hardware if that is what you meant. However, in terms of software, BeeKit will be necessary to generate the corresponding projects to later be loaded to your boards.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear Angel,

my work is to design a custom board which contain MC13237,i want to know what's necessary in my board because i think Beekit doesn't treat my board,i would say i think when i plugg my board to the PC ,i think i can't use beekit to choose my application ,is beekit just for the freescale's Kit or when i design my board based on MC13237 i can use it as a Frescale's kit ,what's necessary ??what 's the principal component should i keep it in addition to the processor MC13237,i need your help plz !

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

BeeKit has a way to define custom board’s connections using the “User Defined Target Editor” when creating a new solution.  This enables you to create sample applications from BeeKit and targeted for your custom board with minimal efforts. You could also modify simple ports configuration directly in source code anyway.

Capture.JPG.jpg

The best practice would be to base your board in one of our reference designs, leaving the RF part unchanged. This would avoid any issues and the board would be likely to work as expected.

Regards,

AngelC

nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear Angel,

where can i find "user defined target editor" ,i search for it in Beekit and i can't find it !!

reagards,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

You may launch the User defined target editor from the Beekit Project’s property list. Once you are done with the New project’s Wizard, click on “Platform” in the solution explorer window (top-right side).

Once there, browse to PortConfig.h section in property list and select any item, i.e. any LED. In the right side of it is located the corresponding port. You may click on the ”…” button to launch the target editor. Following screenshot illustrates this.

TargetEditor.JPG.jpg

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear Angel,

Our team now finish the search of zigbee's soltuion ,and we choose freescale ! i wanna know plz the freescale's kit designed just for home automation ,i insist for home automation ! How much it cost ? and if it is available in France?? And i prefer to work on code warrior because it is free ,so i prefer that the kit be based on HS not on
ARM and thx ,

Regards ,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

There is not any development kit especially for Home automation at all. There are some development kits with some boards featuring the HS08 MC1323x device. For the MKW2x, we have a tower board and a USB dongle so far. You could buy as many of those as your application or proof of concept requires.

We also offer several reference designs you could use to design your own board with minimum efforts and based in a tested-to-work board. You may download them for free form our website. There is also a low cost reference design in the communities.

You will find further details about cost and availability in the product website:

MC1323x Dev kits: http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=1323x_Dev_Kits

MKW2x Dev kits:    http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=TWR-KW2x

http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=USB-K...

Regarding to the device to use, both of them (8-bit HCS08 MC1323x and 32-bit ARM MKW2x) would work with current ZigBee Home Automation profile implementation. Nevertheless, the amount of memory in the ARM based MCU, along its performance and other characteristics, is optimal for ZigBee development leaving enough space for custom application development and the continuing improvement and potential growth of ZigBee stack. Having said this, I would still recommend you the MKW2x.

Despite it is not the official supported IDE, you could also use Codewarrior to import the MKW2x ZigBee home automation projects. Just notice that, not being the supported IDE, any issue with it might not be addressed immediately.

I would recommend you to download BeeKit (it is free) from our website and check the different ZigBee Home Automation solutions for both the MC1323x and MKW2x. You could start evaluating whether the MKW2x solutions work properly in Codewarrior or also to check the memory requirements of such solutions when selecting MC1323x as target device.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos
nidhalbouzwita
Contributor I

Dear AngelC,

thanks for your help ,but i need to know which file is the application ,BeeApp.c or BeeAppInit.c ???which file i need to modify it to achieve my application

Regards,

Nidhal

0 Kudos
AngelC
Senior Contributor I

Dear Nidhal,

That depends in your application. You could always create new files if desired, but if you would like to keep that unchanged, I would suggest adding any custom code/functions in BeeApp.c file. Here is where the main application’s task is running (BeeAppTask). You may use the same task or create others.

Regards,

AngelC

0 Kudos