cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wi-Fi disconnction/reconnection on W8997 chipset

virti_choksi
Contributor III

Hello,

I want to establish a constant connection between DUT and the router.

My setup details are:

1. Wi-Fi chipset: 88W8997

2. Processor: BG5CT

3. OS: Android 12

4. Linux version: 4.9

5. host machine: Ubuntu 18.04 

Currently, my DUT gets connected to the router for a few seconds then disconnects automatically, and again it reconnects, also I have tested this for both the 2.4Ghz band and the 5Ghz band.

Logcat logs are attached below  

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies

Inforle1945
Contributor I

Hello , @virti_choksi i read your question and i want to say you that i actually experience :

Ensure that the DUT is within range of the Wi-Fi router and that the signal strength is strong. Weak signal strength can cause intermittent disconnections.
Verify the router settings, including the Wi-Fi band, channel, and security settings. Make sure that the router is not set to automatically disconnect devices after a short period of inactivity.
Ensure that the Wi-Fi driver for the 88W8997 chipset is up to date. Sometimes, driver updates can resolve connectivity issues.
On the DUT, check the Wi-Fi power management settings. Sometimes, power-saving features can cause intermittent disconnections. You can try disabling power-saving mode for the Wi-Fi adapter.
If your router has MAC filtering enabled, try disabling it temporarily to see if it affects the DUT's connectivity.
Sometimes, connectivity issues can be resolved by simply rebooting the router and the DUT.
Nearby electronic devices or other Wi-Fi networks can cause interference. Try changing the Wi-Fi channel on your router to see if it improves the connection.
Ensure that there are no IP address conflicts on the network that could be causing connectivity issues.
On the Android device, check the Wi-Fi settings and make sure there are no specific settings causing the disconnections, such as a static IP address.
If possible, check for firmware or software updates for both the router and the DUT. Updated firmware can sometimes resolve compatibility issues.
As a last resort, you can try performing a factory reset on the router and/or the DUT to rule out any software-related issues.

0 Kudos

virti_choksi
Contributor III

Hello @Inforle1945,

Thank you for the response.

I have tried the solutions that you suggested, such as:

1. I verified the router setting; there is no issue with the router setting as I can connect to other devices with no disconnection.

2. I have also tried resetting the router and rebooting the DUT, but unfortunately, it hasn't resolved the connectivity problem.

3. Additionally, I made sure that there is no IP address conflict.

4. I even tried changing the Wi-Fi channel, but the disconnection issue persists.

5. I also confirmed that there is no MAC filtering applied on the router.

For further information related to the disconnections, please refer to the logcat logs provided above.

Best Regards,

Virti

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @virti_choksi 

I checked the provided logs, it is showing that:

wpa_supplicant: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-DISCONNECTED bssid=9c:c9:eb:f8:14:54 reason=3

In common, reason 3  means deauthentication received from AP side.

Can you please help to check your AP side whether has some special settings? Or have a try with another AP(or your handset's hotspot?)

Can you please help to share your wpa_supplicant.conf file to me, then I can check further?

By the way, I saw "08-01 15:19:52.483 586 4188 W WifiService: Permission violation - getConfiguredNetworks not allowed for uid=10043, packageName=com.google.android.tvrecommendations, reason=java.lang.SecurityException: UID 10043 has no location permission".

Also please help to check your application side and may give tvrecommendations location access then have a try.

Best regards,

Christine.

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos

virti_choksi
Contributor III

Hello @Christine_Li ,

Thank you for the response 

1. As you suggested I tried to connect my DUT with the other AP but the disconnection issue persists.

2. Here is the wpa_supplicant.conf file of the DUT

console:/vendor/etc/wifi # cat wpa_supplicant.conf
update_config=1
ctrl_interface=wlan0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
p2p_disabled=1
wowlan_triggers=any

3. In my, DUT supported wpa_supplicant version is

console:/ # /vendor/bin/hw/wpa_supplicant -v
wpa_supplicant v2.10-devel-12
Copyright (c) 2003-2019, Jouni Malinen <j@w1.fi> and contributors

4. Current driver version 

console:/ # cat /proc/mwlan/wlan0/info |more
driver_name = "wlan"
driver_version = SD8997-16.68.10.p45-C3X16C612-GPL-(FP68)
interface_name="wlan0"
bss_mode ="Managed"

5. As for the location permission for the package com.google.android.tvrecommendations I am working on it.

Best regards,

Virti

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @virti_choksi 

Could you please have a try with below wpa_supplicant.conf, and let me know the results?

ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant

ctrl_interface_group=0

update_config=1

network={

ssid="Your Connectable SSID Name"

psk="PASSWORD"

key_mgmt=WPA-PSK

scan_ssid=1

}

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos

virti_choksi
Contributor III

Hello @Christine_Li,

I updated the wpa_supplicant.conf file as you suggested, but unfortunately, it didn't work.

What can we do further?

Best regards,

Virti

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @virti_choksi 

This driver:SD8997-16.68.10.p45-C3X16C612-GPL-(FP68) is a quite old driver.

Could you please have a try with our newer driver such as below one?

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/sps/download/license.jsp?colCode=SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8997-U16-MMC-W16-C4X16693_...

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos

virti_choksi
Contributor III

Hello @Christine_Li,

As we faced the connectivity issue with the current driver we downloaded and integrated the latest driver which is the same as you suggested  "SD-WLAN-SD-BT-8997-U16-MMC-W16.68.10.p162-16.26.10.p162-C4X16693_V4-MGPL"

After integration, the challenge we are facing when we try to scan over the wlan0 interface can be seen from the below steps:

We install the W8997 modules and try to up the wlan0 interface.

$ cd /vendor/lib/modules/

$ insmod maln.ko

$ insmod sd8xxx.ko cfg80211_wext=0xf sta_name=wlan wfd_name=p2p max_vir_bss=1 drv_mode=5 p2p_enh=1 drvdbg=0x6 'cal_data_cfg=none shutdown_hs=1'

$ wpa_cli -i wlan0 scan

Failed to connect to non-global ctrl_ifname: wlan0  error: Connection refused

Best regards,

Virti

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @virti_choksi 

Thanks for your feedback.

With the latest driver, can you build and insmod successfully?

Kindly remind, you need to cross-compile the driver with your kernel 4.9 tool-chain.

I saw that you are using " insmod maln.ko".

It should be  "insmod mlan.ko"

Can you please help to provide dmesg failed logs with drvdbg=0x20037 (to enable debug information)?

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos

virti_choksi
Contributor III

Hello @Christine_Li,

Sorry for the late response.

Now we can up the interface and connect to the AP.

Initially, we were inserting the modules manually after the system bootup, and wpa_supplicant in the Android source doesn't support automatic scan after it starts.

So we need to run the wpa_suplicant service from the command line to scan any AP after, running the wpa_supplicant service we can scan and connect to the AP.

We also tried Inserting the modules through the script at the system bootup and then we were able to scan and connect to the AP.

Thank you for all the support.

Best regards,

Virti 

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi, @virti_choksi 

Inserting the modules through the script at the system bootup.

==>Could you please help to share the script that works for you? I prefer to learn something from you.

Thanks.

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos

Christine_Li
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

hi, @virti_choksi 

Good news and thank you so much for your feedback and solution sharing.

I will record your solution in order to share to other customers who meet same issue to you.

Thanks for the contribution and all trials.

Then I will close this ticket for now, and if you have any other query, please feel free to create new ticket to us.

Have a good day~

Best regards,

Christine.

0 Kudos