Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PN5190 Package Removal Detection Pins

Jump to solution
FocusNeedle9376
Contributor I

Hello,

My question is regarding the PRD (package removal detection) pins on the PN5190, PRD1 and PRD2.

Are these pins left floating? Tied to GND or VCC? What is meant to be done with them?

Thanks for your time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @FocusNeedle9376 

Actually, that pin removable detection (PRD) is a feature which is (or was) helpful to get a better security grade for EMVCo. It allows an MCU to detect, whether or not a chip is removed.

Imagine, someone wants to hack the system, and removes the PN5190. Then he connects the SPI to an external hacking device (PN5190) to emulate the internal PN5190. This hack scenario then allows to trace the SPI in all details.

With the PRD, the MCU can see that the PN5190 has been removed and can block working.

So, the PRD1 and PRD2 are just two pins, which are internally (inside PN5190) connected to each other, but which have no other function or connections. So, if an MCU drives a certain signal into PRD1, the same signal must be visible at PRD2. That is all.

If PRD is not used, those pins can be left floating or tied to GND.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products andfor the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,

Kelly

Technical Support

NXP Semiconductor

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @FocusNeedle9376 

Actually, that pin removable detection (PRD) is a feature which is (or was) helpful to get a better security grade for EMVCo. It allows an MCU to detect, whether or not a chip is removed.

Imagine, someone wants to hack the system, and removes the PN5190. Then he connects the SPI to an external hacking device (PN5190) to emulate the internal PN5190. This hack scenario then allows to trace the SPI in all details.

With the PRD, the MCU can see that the PN5190 has been removed and can block working.

So, the PRD1 and PRD2 are just two pins, which are internally (inside PN5190) connected to each other, but which have no other function or connections. So, if an MCU drives a certain signal into PRD1, the same signal must be visible at PRD2. That is all.

If PRD is not used, those pins can be left floating or tied to GND.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products andfor the opportunity to serve you.

Best regards,

Kelly

Technical Support

NXP Semiconductor

FocusNeedle9376
Contributor I
Great, thank you!
0 Kudos
KellyLi
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @FocusNeedle9376 

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.

These two pins may be used for future function expansion. From the data sheet, it is an ordinary input and output port. According to the design of the NXP development board, these two pins are connected to the MCU side. I have already consulted NXP internal experts for the specific use, and I will update you with news.

Best regards,

Kelly

Technical Support

NXP Semiconductor

0 Kudos