cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NXP Thread Stack

thebhef
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to get some information on the NXP Thread stack, but haven't yet been able to get in touch with anybody at NXP who is able to help, and stack request link is down on the thread page http://contact.nxp.com/Thread-Pre-Cert

I'm working on a wireless development platform, and Thread looks like it might be a really good fit for our product. We're looking at using a KWx0Z device as a secondary to a main K64 processor.

So the questions I have about Thread:

What state is the NXP stack in? Is it released?

Is the distribution binary, or source?

How can I get it?

What is meant by 'Pre-Certified'? Specifically, what amount of Thread Group certification would we still have to do if we used an NXP part and stack? (I understand that this is distinct from RF compliance)

I was also wondering if there was a cleaner hardware reference design for the KW40 series parts than the development board.

Thanks,

Ben

10 Replies

thebhef
Contributor II

Looks like the link has been fixed on the Thread page.

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

We are glad this was fixed, thanks for your confirmation.

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

NXP's Thread Stack is currently in Beta state and is planned to be GA available in the following months.

Thread core is provided as a library and there is a lot of API functionality available for you.

You can submit a request to become a Beta Customer at www.nxp.com/thread

NXP's Thread stack will be already certified by the Thread Group. Since Thread is a Network-layer specification, all Applications must be Re-Certified to ensure they are still Thread compliant.

Please take a look into Reference Designs and Development Kits for additional Hardware designs.

thebhef
Contributor II

I was also wondering, after looking over the request form: Does NXP provide this stack only to Thread Group members?

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

- Right now OpenThread is still in an early stage, as it's open source, it will rely in the community for some of its features. See Nest Announces Open Source Implementation of Thread | Nest. As commented before, NXP Thread Stack is close to be GA and Thread Pre-certified.

- KDS support will be enabled in the following months too, supporting KW41Z platform.

- It's not a requirement o be a Thread Group member to get the NXP Thread stack.

evgenyerlihman
Contributor IV

Hi Juan Carlos,

If i decide to use Thread on MKW41Z based product, would i be required to become a Thread Group member? And would it be possible to release the product without Thread's logo and certification?

Thanks,

Evgeny

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Evgeny, 

You can download and use the NXP Thread for MKW41Z without being a Thread Group member. 

In order to launch a Thread compliant product, you require to go through certification. There are several advantages of the Thread certification, see Thread Certification Program Opens: Top Reasons to Get on Board Now! > Thread Group.

jcsansao
Contributor II

Dear Juan Carlos,

Do you know what are the plans to support KW2xd on KDS and Thread Stack?

0 Kudos

jc_pacheco
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Juliano, 

Currently we support Thread 1.1 for MKW41Z (MKW41Z_ConnSw_1.0.2) which supports KSDK 2.0, KDS and IAR.

We are planning to release Thread 1.1 for KW2xD and K64/KL46 + MCR20A on mid-late December. This release will support KSDK 2.0, KEx, IAR and KDS.

0 Kudos

thebhef
Contributor II

Hey Juan,

Thanks for your response.

I've been trying to access the request forms on that page for a few days and the links are down. The request button goes to http://contact.nxp.com/Thread-Pre-Cert​, which just returns a page that says there's nothing there. I've confirmed that this is the case for at least one of NXP's chat support people as well. Is there another channel through which I can request this access?

Do you have any thoughts on using the NXP stack vs Openthread? Is one more mature than the other? I understand that Openthread will require a HAL layer to work, but I'm assuming that can be provided through KSDK.

Is there any reason I wouldn't be able to use KDS with the NXP Thread stack? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it currently supports IAR. If that's the case, what level of work would be involved in reconfiguring it for KDS?

Thanks for the reference design link, I found a couple more designs to look at there.

0 Kudos