Kinetis BLE Toolbox - Wireless UART will not pair

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kinetis BLE Toolbox - Wireless UART will not pair

toddcomins
Contributor II

I cannot get the Android Kinetis BLE Toolbox to pair with the FRDM-KW41Z board running the Hybrid Thread/BLE UART or BLE UART project. I can see the board show up as NXP_THR in the available devices list under Android BlueTooth settings... but never in the BLE Toolbox app. Any suggestions?

Labels (3)
9 Replies

toddcomins
Contributor II

Turning on GPS was the fix! Thanks for the help.

sterenn
Contributor II

Hello, 

How did you manage to pair your phone with the board ? For me, the phone is able to connect to the board, but no interaction is possible as long as the phone (or PC) asks for a pairing code (and both 0000 and 1234 won't work). 

Thank you,

0 Kudos

toddcomins
Contributor II

We do not pair the board with the phone before launching the IoT Toolbox app (on Android). 

We turn on Bluetooth, turn off GPS, and then launch the NXP IoT Toolbox app. On the IoT Toolbox app screen we select the Wireless Console/UART icon. On the next screen the board we select the board and then we get the console screen. Sometimes, we have to exit the IoT Toolbox app and turn off Bluetooth, turn on Bluetooth, and then launch the IoT Toolbox app again. But for the most part, it works fine.

Lupo
Contributor III

I would hardly think that by myself, testing the uart!

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos

toddcomins
Contributor II

I can try an older phone tomorrow. I'm not familiar with security settings on Android related to BlueTooth so I'll have to investigate that.

FYI - I'm using Kinetis LBE Toolbox release data 02-21-2017 Version 5.0.0.

0 Kudos

albertovargas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can also try

• disable wi-fi on your smartphone
  • make sure that location services are enabled (Since Android 6.0, location services need to be enabled in order to locate BLE devices)
  • make sure the location services permission was granted to the app

On the embedded side, are you using both Hybrid Thread/BLE UART with default settings?

toddcomins
Contributor II

Google Pixel phone, Android Version 7.1.1.

0 Kudos

albertovargas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

I did a quick test, I was able to perform a connection using a Nexus 6 with Android 7.0 and a Nexus 5X running 7.1.1 using Wireless UART firmware with default settings. By chance, do you have any older phone to use for testing? Also, are you using security parameters by default?

0 Kudos

albertovargas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Todd,

Could you please provide your smartphone brand, model and Android version?

0 Kudos