Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K32W148-EVK OTA updates

Jump to solution
karamanr
Contributor I

Hi,
I am trying to add the ota client into my application. I started by following this guide: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13855.pdf . I can see the application in both the UART and OTAP sections of the IoT Toolbox, however, the updates do not seem to make any changes. I tried both using a normal Wireless UART application and the UART-OTAP app, by changing the local name when advertising to something else than the default in the app_config.c file. The upload seems to be successful in both cases, but when the board resets, the app is still the old one. I have tried using both the internal and external storage, with the same result. I suspect that something has to be added/changed in the linker scripts, however the pdf file does not mention what file/variable/boot flag has to be changed. Is there something that I've missed or is my approach wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Itzel_UV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ridvan,

Could you try following the steps from this guide to create an image with OTAP tool (Chapter 5)

Creating Firmware Update Image for KW45B41Z/K32W148 using Over the Air Programming Tool (nxp.com)? Please send update of your results.

Regards,

Itzel

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
sshrivastava
Contributor II

Hi @karamanr , I saw you post and we are also struggling with similar issue, by any chance did you fix this issue. If yes, could you please share some insights.

0 Kudos
karamanr
Contributor I

Hi @sshrivastava , sorry for the late reply, the way I got it to work was to follow the guide from this link: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13860.pdf

The key thing about this is the way you create the update image it seems, at first I thought that I can only create it using MCUXpresso, however I only got my update to work by creating it using the NXP Over the Air Programming tool. Since I was working on Ubuntu, I did not have access to the tool so I thought that only using the .srec file from MCUXpresso would work, however it was not the case. After following the guide, I was able to update my application with a newer version using the IoT Toolboox iOS Application.

Kind Regards,
Ridvan

0 Kudos
Itzel_UV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Ridvan,

Could you try following the steps from this guide to create an image with OTAP tool (Chapter 5)

Creating Firmware Update Image for KW45B41Z/K32W148 using Over the Air Programming Tool (nxp.com)? Please send update of your results.

Regards,

Itzel

0 Kudos
karamanr
Contributor I

Any update @Itzel_UV ?

0 Kudos
Itzel_UV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

Have you already tried running the example from https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note-software/AN13855SW.zip?

Have you made any other modification from the guide https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13855.pdf?

Regards,

Itzel

0 Kudos
karamanr
Contributor I

Hi,

I was not able to run the example as it is created for the KW45B41ZEVK, while I am using the K32W148-EVK. Is there a similar example for the board I am using? I can try to add the missing stuff and run it on my board, because from a quick look, most differences are board/device specific files. I have noticed some things that I did not have in my project, like these two lines in the linker script:
" m_hadmbuff_start = __base_RAM_VECTOR_TABLE + 0x400;
m_hadmbuff_size = 0x2000;"

However, even after adding them in the symbols.ldt file, the result was the same.

The only change I have made that is different from the guide was to set the gAppUseBonding_d and gAppUsePairing_d to 0 as I was having some issues when reconnecting to the device but I do not think this has any effect on the updating part. By using the debugger I was able to see that the update seems to transfer correctly, however when the device resets I get a OTACFG_FW_UDPATE_FAILURE(0x4412d283) value for update_status which according to the data sheet: "Indicates failure to process sb3 file OR failure to erase/write update status to OTACFG page". Any clue as to why this would happen? I am sending a .srec file created from the binary utilities of MCUXpresso through the NXP IoT Toolbox application on an iOS device if that helps.

Kind Regards,
Ridvan

0 Kudos
Itzel_UV
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello,

I will be helping you at this case.

Could you tell me the SDK version that you're using?

0 Kudos
karamanr
Contributor I
Hi, I am using the SDK_2.12.7_K32W148-EVK
0 Kudos