cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JN5189 powerdown mode

Serfa
Contributor II

Hello there

I'm working with Chinese JN5189 module(E180-Z8910SP) and I've got a confusing situation with powerdown mode.

When I run your powerdown example (MCUXpresso IDE -> Quickstart Panel -> Import SDK example(s) -> driver_examples -> powerdown_demo), everything indicates the module is in the powerdown mode, except that I can see there's still too much of current consumption (about 0.7 mA, with no other connections but serial port alone – if there are any pins connected, it further increases).

By the way, deep down mode seems to be working, the consumption is expectedly low.

Could you help me?

Can somebody run the same example and measure the current consumption so I can compare it, because 0.7 mA is definitely too much for the powerdown mode in my opinion.  

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Serfa,

Please check the following app note, it mention the expected power consumption using the different power modes:

JN5189-Power Consumption (nxp.com)

BR,

Alexis Andalon

0 Kudos

Serfa
Contributor II

Hi Alexis

Yes, I've seen that pdf, and it is confirmation of what is declared in JN518x data-sheet.
But could anybody from NXP run example I described in previous post on one of yours dev-boards
and confirm that JN5189 really enter to power-down mode with current consumption of few dozens uA(microAmpers).
I like that example as it is super simple, easy to follow and it is about power-down mode.

0 Kudos

Alexis_A
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello @Serfa,

I can confirm the results shown in the application note, and your results seems very high compared to the ones in the datasheet/app note. Are the measurements done only for the module or do you have any other IC connected to that power path?

BR,

Alexis Andalon

0 Kudos

Serfa
Contributor II

Hi

Measurements are taken on module power path, but it seems I made a mistake when I left unused pin_10 and pin_11 floating. These are special i2c pins that must have external pull up resistors.

Now after I mount these resistors and configure latching in IOCON registers for two LEDs on my "dev-board", current on one module drops to about 80uA, and on another one to less then 10uA.

Maybe, one module is somehow damaged, I don't know, but this is good enough for me.

Thank you for response.

Damir Serfezi