How to Implement 802.15.4 Tree Topology Using JN5168

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Implement 802.15.4 Tree Topology Using JN5168

mferrari1
Contributor III

I am looking to implement an 802.15.4 Tree Topology network using the JN5168.  In this case, I will need the one PAN Coordinator and the other nodes will be "local" Coordinators. The JN-AN-1174 example project only implements a PAN Coordinator and End Points for creating a Star Topology network.  Is there an example project or reference document available for guidance on implementing a Tree Topology network using 802.15.4 (not ZigBee) using the JN5168?  Is there any example project or reference document for implementing "Local Coordinators" in addition to the PAN Coordinator?  Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos
6 Replies

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Matt,

As you know, the Tree Topology is not part of the 815.2.4 implementation. The examples that we provide only implement star Topology.

I will get back to you with some advice to implement this topology

Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

mferrari1
Contributor III

Hi Mario –

Please also see the references to “local Co-ordinators” in Section 1.5, Page 25 “Device Types” and Section 1.8.2, Page 29 “Data Transfer Types” in the IEEE 802.15.4 Stack User Guide document JN-UG-3024 v2.6.

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos

mario_castaneda
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Matt,

Unfortunately, we do not provide any guide or example for the Tree Topology. We provide a user guide, it explains how the tree topology works, They could implement their own networking software layer to achieve the tree network topology. The IEEE 802.15.4 has the mechanism to support it, but you have to write whole routing algorithm.

1.13.2 Routing in a Tree Topology A Tree network has a structure which helps in the routing of messages. Messages do not always need to go through the PAN Co-ordinator. A message is first passed from the sending node to its parent. ¡ If the destination node is also a child of this parent, the message is passed directly to the destination. ¡ If the destination node is not a child of this parent, the message is passed up the tree to the next parent. This parent then decides whether the message must be passed down to one of its children or up to its own parent. Message propagation continues in this way. A message may need to be passed all the way up to the PAN Co-ordinator at the top of the tree before it can be passed down the tree towards its destination. The network may achieve this routing using routing tables stored in the Co-ordinator nodes (PAN and others) or using special addressing schemes in which allocated addresses are dependent on the position in the tree. However, the routing is implemented by the software layers above the IEEE 802.15.4 stack (such as ZigBee software layers). 

So, you can achieve this routing working on Zigbee. Did you take a look at the Zigbee implementation?

Best Regards,

Mario

0 Kudos

mferrari1
Contributor III

Thanks Mario.

Please have a look at the NXP document JN-UG-3024 (v2.6), Section 1.4.2, Page 23.

This document is the IEEE 802.15.4 Stack User Guide. It is my understanding that this document describes the capabilities of the 802.15.4 Stack as supported by the 802.15.4 SDK which runs on the BeyondStudio IDE.

This page discusses the concept of the “local Coordinator” which is required to implement a Tree Topology (as described on this page).

The “local Coordinator” is also referred to as a “Router” in other wireless network protocols that use 802.15.4 to transport data (such as ZigBee and JenNet).

This tree topology, as described in the Stack User Guide, is what I want to create using NXP JN5168 modules.

This reference to the Tree Topology in the Stack User Guide suggests that this topology is indeed possible using the 802.15.4 Stack as provided by the SDK.

Can you confirm if this is in fact the case? And if so, point me to the necessary documentation, APIs, examples, etc for doing this?

Thank you Mario – I appreciate your support and look forward to hearing from you.

Matt

0 Kudos

yuchenglin
Contributor II

Why ask questions always no one reply!!!

0 Kudos

yuchenglin
Contributor II

I have the same problem,is anyone can reply?

0 Kudos