cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Needed with Laptop Compatibility for NXP Development

stellagomezz
Contributor I

Hello NXP Community,

I hope everyone is doing well. I am in need of some assistance regarding the compatibility of my laptop with NXP development tools and software. I've been using NXP's products for a while, and recently I upgraded my laptop. However, I want to ensure that everything runs smoothly with the new hardware, and I have a few questions.

Laptop Specs:

Model: Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon
Processor: Intel Core i7-1165G7
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 512GB NVMe SSD
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
GPU: Intel Iris Xe Graphics

I am primarily interested in running the following software and tools on my laptop:

MCUXpresso IDE
LPCXpresso
Kinetis Design Studio
Processor Expert
i.MX RT Series SDK
NXP's Linux BSPs
My questions are as follows:

Has anyone used a similar laptop configuration for NXP development, and if so, did you encounter any compatibility issues?

Are there any specific drivers or configurations I should be aware of to ensure optimal performance with NXP's software and tools?

Are there any known issues or workarounds for running NXP's software on [Your Laptop Model] with [Your Operating System]?

Are there any recommendations for optimizing the development environment for NXP tools on this laptop?

I appreciate any guidance, tips, or personal experiences you can share. I want to make sure that my new laptop setup is well-suited for NXP development, and your insights will be invaluable.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

0 Kudos
1 Reply

ocourson
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Dear @stellagomezz 

This computer should be fully capable for NXP products development, with some restriction on RAM/storage (see below)

The main characteristics you should focus on are:

- Latop OS

Most of the NXP development software you are referring to are available both on Windows and Linux.

But you might need a Linux OS (native, or at least a Linux Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or equivalent) in case you need to rebuild NXP Linux BSPs, or Android SW.

Please note that NXP advise to use MCUXpresso as replacement for LPCXpresso (see https://www.nxp.com/products/processors-and-microcontrollers/arm-microcontrollers/general-purpose-mc...) and Kinetis Design Studio (see https://www.nxp.com/design/designs/design-studio-integrated-development-environment-ide:KDS_IDE)

- Processor: Intel Core i7-1165G7

Should be very capable, especially for Linux BSP Yocto SW build, using all processor threads in parallel

- Latop RAM

16GB RAM can be enough: you can run MCUXpresso on Windows or Windows together with a Linux VM, but not all together.

(32GB RAM would bring full comfort if using Windows with Linux VM with no limitation)

- Storage size

512GB NVMe SSD can be enough. But remind that Linux BSP Yocto build, Android build (if required) and Matter SW (if required) requires lots of disk space.

1TB would bring more flexibility, Allowing to keep several builds

- connectors

Please make sure you have at least 2-3 USB connectors (you will need USB-A and USB-C connectors), or buy an USB-C hub.

If I am correct, that Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon latop does not provide ethernet, nor SD card connector

You might need to buy an USB-C to ethernet adpater to copy some files (using SSH) to the Linux targets

The I will try to answer your specific questions:

Has anyone used a similar laptop configuration for NXP development, and if so, did you encounter any compatibility issues? No

Are there any specific drivers or configurations I should be aware of to ensure optimal performance with NXP's software and tools? No

Are there any known issues or workarounds for running NXP's software on [Your Laptop Model] with [Your Operating System]? Please refer to my upper answers

Are there any recommendations for optimizing the development environment for NXP tools on this laptop ? The main issue is to choose the OS and balance the disk space between the 2 OS in case you are using both Windows and Linux.

Regards,

Olivier

0 Kudos