trying to use the borrow function but it never takes a license

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trying to use the borrow function but it never takes a license

gordonmillar
Contributor I

We have a need to use 1 of our 4 network licences offsite where VPN wont be available so we want to borrow it from the flexlm server. however it never actually borrows a licence. using lmborrow -status shows none borrowed and pulling out the network cable backs this up.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gordon,

Some years ago I've performed several tests for the borrowing feature.

Below you will find some details which could help you.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

BORROWING:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Test with configuration:

XP server and XP clients

Floating license for HC08 V6.x and HC12 V5.x

Tools checked: CW for MCU V6.3 (Coldfire part) + CW for MCU V6.3 (HC08 part) + CW for HC12 v5.1

For HC08, coldFireV1 and HC12 I:

-              Created a project using Processor Expert,

-              Build the application,

-              Launch the debugger.

Process:

- go to your desktop and for My computer open system properties,

- click on advanced and environment variables (this could change for windows 7),

- under System variables click New,

- add:

Variable name: LM_BORROW

Variable value: 19-nov-2010:metrowks:20-nov-2010

- save it,

- go to server and launch the service,

- go to client and launch the IDE, create a project, build it and launch the debugger for HC08,

- close the IDE,

- launch the IDE, create a project, build it and launch the debugger for HC12,

- close the IDE,

- launch the IDE, create a project, build it and launch the debugger for Coldfire V1,

- close the IDE

- stop the service on server,

- launch the IDE on client on HC08, remove object code and test the project created,

- Close the project,

- open the ColdFire V1 project, remove object code and test it,

- close the project and the IDE,

- launch the IDe for HC12, open the project, remove object code and test it.

- close the IDE

All these actions were executed without problem.

In borrowing I used the HC12, HC08 and Coldfire V1 development tools without problem.

The problem is to clear the LM_BORROW before it will expire.

I found the following in the Flexlm manual:

CLEARING THE BORROW PERIOD

Once you have borrowed all the licenses that you need for the current borrow period (defined by the LM_BORROW environment variable), prevent licenses for any additional features from being borrowed by running lmborrow -clear.

This clears the LM_BORROW setting in the registry (Windows) or $HOME/.flexlmrc (UNIX). lmborrow -clear does not clear the local information about licenses you have already borrowed.

And

RETURNING A BORROWED LICENSE EARLY

To return a borrowed license before the borrow period expires, first reconnect the borrowing system back to the network and then, from the same machine that initiated the borrowing, issue the command:

lmborrow -return [-c license_file_list] feature This option may or may not be allowed by your vendor. Check directly with your vendor to determine if early borrowed-license return is supported.

Returning the license early has the effect of clearing the LM_BORROW setting for the vendor daemon that serves the returned license.

I opened the registry and under HKEY_CURRENT_USER ¦ Software ¦ FLEXlm License manager ¦ Borrow, I found the list of all features borrowed.

Now I:

-              Launch the service on server,

-              Try on the client the lmborrow –clear and lmborrow –return …

Without success.

May be it’s not allowed.

I tried to remove directly in the registry all the borrow features.

I stopped the service on server.

Now I can not anymore launch the IDE on client but the borrowing is not clear on the server.

To fix the problem:

-              on the client, I removed the LM_BORROW in the environment variable,

-              I re-launch the service,

-              Under server in C:\flexlm folder I executed lmborrow –clear,

-              On the client launch the IDE, open the project, build it and launch debugger.

It’s working.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hope this will help you.

Have a great day,
Pascal
Freescale Technical Support
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

gordonmillar
Contributor I

Thanks Pascal

looks like my issue was the length of time I was trying to borrow for. I have successfully borrowed for 6 days but can't get it to work for longer? is there a way to borrow for longer? the user is going to be offsite without vpn for several months and returning to the office every 6 days isn't practical.

thanks

Gordon

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gordon,

I’ve tried to set a borrow period for 6 months but got an error:

16:36:58 (metrowks) Borrow error: Win32_CWIDE_Unlimited Cannot borrow that long. (-104,563), 15754980 seconds > 604800 seconds

It seems the maximum time is  604800 seconds which is 7 days (604800 seconds).

I will check with license team but the period time can not exceed 7 days.

I don't think this can be changed.

How many seat(s) you've for your floating license ?

Have a great day,
Pascal
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos

gordonmillar
Contributor I

Thanks Pascal

We have 4 seats on our network licence.

Gordon

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gordon,

Thanks.

We're checking with Flexera but I don't think we will exceed 30 days for borrowing.

In your case we could may be work on another way to solve the problem.

I need to check with sales team to know what we can do.

To do that I need more details regarding your account.

If you want I can continue outside the community.

I can or you can create a Service Request for that.

You can create a SR via the web system under your Freescale Account or just send an email to support@freescale.com.

A SR will be created.

Please provide me the license file used and put in subject or in the email for Pascal.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos

gordonmillar
Contributor I

Thanks Pascal

30 days would be a big improvement over 7. i'll raise an SR and send you the license.dat file.

Gordon

0 Kudos

trytohelp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Gordon,

I'm working on this problem.

I've already found an issue with the new web license file.

The Borrow feature is not supported by the new license file.

I've solved the problem on my side and I will contact the license team.

Now I need to perform some tests to see if there is a limited borrowing time.

Keep you informed.

Have a great day,
Pascal

0 Kudos