MPXV7002 Pressure Sensor in Hostile Environment

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPXV7002 Pressure Sensor in Hostile Environment

briancatoe
Contributor I

I would like to use a MPXV7002 to monitor blocked outlet conditions on a condensing water heater. The exhaust will have combustion byproducts such as CO, CO2, NOx, etc.  Will this significantly degrade the life of the product?  The Datasheet simply states

"The MPXV7002 series pressure sensor operating

characteristics, and internal reliability and qualification tests

are based on use of dry air as the pressure media. Media,

other than dry air, may have adverse effects on sensor

performance and long-term reliability. Contact the factory for

information regarding media compatibility in your application."

Thanks in Advance

Brian

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

david_diaz
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hello Brian,

Indeed, for the use of pressure sensors in any other environments than dry air will require additional precautions and protection of the sensing element inside the pressure sensor:

Freescale's silicon pressure sensors are not compatible with oil, gas, petrol and water or water vapors, or chemicals.

After some working hours, maybe days the device would fail. The strain gauge and the electronic circuitry for calibration and compensation are protected by a nitride layer but the aluminum bonding pads which provide electrical connections between the leadframe and the gauge are not protected, in order to make the bonding feasible.

The complete die is also protected with a silicone gel. This gel is not fully hermetic, although we use much better gel for our newer types of pressure sensors, water or any other fluid can penetrate the gel and can reach the die.

I would like to recommend a possible solution to use our sensors in applications with other media than dry air:

Usually in a water measurement application, a head tube is used. This is simply a piece of tubing between the sensor and the container in which the water level or pressure needs to be measured. 

Air is trapped in the tube and this isolates the sensor from the liquid water.

You cab refer to the following application note that would be worth to be considered in addition to the provided information.

AN3728 - Media Compatibility for IPS PRT Pressure Sensors

I hope this information will be useful for you. Please let me know if you need detailed information.

If I misunderstood your question, feel free to let me know.  I will be glad to help.

Have a great day.

David Diaz.

0 Kudos

briancatoe
Contributor I

Thank you.

0 Kudos