cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MPR121 thermal reflow profile

Jump to solution
jesseenjaian
Contributor I

I've assembled a couple of packages soaking at 180 C for one minute and reflowing at 249 C for about twenty or thirty seconds using 63/37 solder (not paste) that I tinned on the pads with a soldering iron. I calibrated the temperature with a thermocoupled thermometer, so I'm confident the applied heat is about that; I'm using a head that's about the size of the MPR121 and soaking the entire chip instead of going side-by-side. Does this sound safe for the MPR121, or am I risking damaging it?

Thanks!

Jesse Enjaian

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jesse Enjaian,

The Peak Package Body Temperature (PPT) for the MPR121 is 260 °C, but the maximum time at this peak temperature is 40 seconds. So yes is a risk that you are damaging the device.

You can find this information in the MPR121 Part Details.

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
reyes
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Jesse Enjaian,

The Peak Package Body Temperature (PPT) for the MPR121 is 260 °C, but the maximum time at this peak temperature is 40 seconds. So yes is a risk that you are damaging the device.

You can find this information in the MPR121 Part Details.

Have a great day,
Jose Reyes

Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!

0 Kudos
jesseenjaian
Contributor I

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your help. I was looking in the data sheet and reference manual, but didn't see it there.

For future reference, that was an incredibly unnecessary temperature. Using eutectic solder, I soaked at 150 C for one minute then reflowed at 189 C for twenty seconds stepping there at 2-3 C/sec. I was able to initialize and use the chip over I2C doing this.

Thanks again.

Best,

Jesse

0 Kudos