Trying to add a custom driver to S32V and module_init is not called

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to add a custom driver to S32V and module_init is not called

tommalnar
Contributor III

I am trying to add a custom driver to the S32V234 and it doesn't seem to run.  The driver is currently being used for i.MX6 platforms.  For i.MX6 we just dropped the driver into the drivers/mxc folder. 

For the S32V we are placing it in drivers/misc/<our driver>.  We modified Kconfig/Makefile appropriately and the driver object is being built into the kernel image.

For example just a simple helloworld as a test. 

static int __init myfunc_init(void)
{
printk(KERN_NOTICE "Hello world!");
return 0;
}

static void __exit myfunc_exit(void)
{
return;
}

module_init(myfunc_init);
module_exit(myfunc_exit);

MODULE_AUTHOR("<My Name>");
MODULE_DESCRIPTION("<Driver Name>");
MODULE_LICENSE("Proprietary");

We place the new uImage on target and when we run it we don't see the hello world message.  

Does even a simple driver like this require being part of the device tree?  Or is there some other step missing here to make the driver run on S32V?

Just to note on i.MX6 the kernel version was 3.14.52 and on S32V its 4.1.26.  Just trying to determine if its a kernel issue that changed and we need to do something different, or was it that placing a driver in drivers/mxc folder was some kind of auto run all these drivers path for the i.MX6. 

Tom

0 Kudos
2 Replies

tommalnar
Contributor III

Never mind, issue on my end, I wasn't running the correct uImage I thought I was running.  The static kernel driver now works fine and does not require a device tree entry.  Please remove this post.

0 Kudos

tommalnar
Contributor III

Just to follow up the driver works as a module just fine using insmod.  So the original question remains, do I have to add an entry in the device tree to load the static module? 

0 Kudos