cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage of RTD 4.0 MCAL drivers in a multi-core application

AndreasStolze
Contributor IV

Hi all,

we would like to split our processor in 2 cores: one for functional safety and one for QM software. Therefore we're using the S32K358

Regarding the multi-core capabilities of the RTD, a couple of questions arose.

Referenced document:
- Application Note "Multi-Core Implementation in RTD of S32K3" (Rev. 1, 07/2022)

1) General questions regarding RTD multi-core terminology

In this AN, a difference is made between the "service API" and the "module kernel". Especially for Type II and Type III modules I am not sure, what exactly is meant.
An example is given with the module kernel function being stated as "init", "deinit". But is there an actual list what functions are allocated to which part?

2) "module kernel" displayed as running on both cores

When looking at Type II and Type III, the "module kernel" is displayed as one unit over both cores. What does this mean looking at integration/code level?

Is this a reference to the scope ("global" vs. "local") at least of the code/constants part being shared between the cores, in addition for Type III even the variables?

3) "codes/constants" definition

For both Type II and Type III, "codes/constants" are shared globally. Is it correct to asume, that the config structure (also somewhat constant) passed to the init function is NOT part of this but basically the code from the RTD directory?

4) Global sharing

This means both cores can use the same code in the flash to run the RTD, i.e. they execute from the same flash address (i.e. linker section)?

So when providing the same code twice (in each flash section of the corresponding core), this should also be ok?

Thank you
Andreas

0 Kudos
3 Replies

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @AndreasStolze 

Please notice that S32K358 is still in pre-production status and that mentioned application note has not been officially published yet. Please contact your FAE for further support.
Thanks for understanding.

Regards,
Lukas

0 Kudos

AndreasStolze
Contributor IV

Sure @lukaszadrapa 

will do.

Just to clarify: The appnote is from the NXP forum by a NXP employee:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/S32K/S32K324-Multi-Core-Example-Project-based-on-Whiteboard/m-p/1515429

BR
Andreas

0 Kudos

lukaszadrapa
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Yes, I know but it's not official way to publish it. It's considered rather as a draft only. Our online support team is currently not able to support it.

Regards,

Lukas

0 Kudos