Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K142 Flash Double ECC Error Behavior

Jump to solution
domdom
Contributor II

Hi,

we are working on a S32K142 and try to force and test the behavior on double ECC errors in Flash memory. We refer to S32K1xx Series Reference Manual, Rev. 13, 04/2020 chapter 35.1.3.1 ECC Implementation for NVM (for S32K14x devices):

Any single-bit ECC errors are automatically corrected, and any double-bit ECC errors are
reflected onto FERSTAT[DFDIF] flag at the read access from Data Flash or Program
Flash. When the double-bit ECC error has occurred, the flash controller reports the error
to the AHB which causes a bus fault. If Bus fault interrupt is not enabled, the error is
handled by the Hard fault. After servicing the Bus fault (if enabled), the Double Bit Fault
Detect Interrupt is serviced (if enabled).

Out assumption is, that the reporting of a double ECC error to AHB is done independent of activation or deactivation of the Flash Double Bit Fault Detect Interrupt (FERCNFG.DFDIE). Is that correct?

We are trying to force the error using the FERCNFG.FDFD bit and observe the following behavior:
1. When FERCNFG.DFDIE = 0 (Flash Double Bit Fault Detect Interrupt disabled), after forcing the error (FERCNFG.FDFD = 1) and access the Flash by instruction fetches or direct reads, neither a Bus Fault nor an escallated Hardfauld occurs ever.

2. When FERCNFG.DFDIE = 1 (Flash Double Bit Fault Detect Interrupt enabled), after forcing the error (FERCNFG.FDFD = 1) and access the Flash by instruction fetches or direct reads, the Flash Double Bit Fault Detect Interrupt is executed but we never see a Bus Fault or an escalated Hardfault.

We are using S32DS with S32K142_SDK 4.0.2 with GCC 6.3 and test on a S32K142 EVB. Please find a code snipped, how we try to force the Exception. Instruction Cache is disabled.

#include "sdk_project_config.h"

flash_ssd_config_t flashSsdConfig;

void HardFault_Handler(void)
{
	while(1)
	{
	}
}

void BusFault_Handler(void)
{
	while(1)
	{
	}
}

void FTFC_Fault_IRQHandler(void)
{
	FLASH_DRV_ForceDoubleBitFaultDetectCmd(false);
	FLASH_DRV_ClearDoubleBitFaultFlag();
//	while(1)
//	{
//	}
}

int main(void)
{
	status_t status;
	uint32_t flashStart;
	volatile uint8_t flashRead;

status = CLOCK_DRV_Init(g_clockManConfigsArr[0]);
	status = FLASH_DRV_Init(&Flash_InitConfig0, &flashSsdConfig);

#if 1
	// Test 1: do not enable the ECC error interrupt of flash controller
//	FLASH_DRV_EnableDoubleBitFaultInterupt();
#else
	// Test 2: enable the ECC error interrupt of flash controller
	FLASH_DRV_EnableDoubleBitFaultInterupt();
#endif

// activate force ECC error on next read from flash
	FLASH_DRV_ForceDoubleBitFaultDetectCmd(true);

// fetch instructions from code flash to force ECC error
	__asm("nop");
	__asm("nop");
	__asm("nop");
	__asm("nop");
	__asm("nop");
	__asm("nop");

// read from 256k flash to force ECC error
	volatile uint8_t* pFlash = (volatile uint8_t*)0x0;
	for(uint32_t i = 0; i < 0x40000; i++)
	{
		flashRead = *pFlash++;
	}

while(1)
	{
	}
}

We hope that anybody can clarify the behavior for us or to point on the thing we are missing here.

Thanks in advance for your help and best regards,

Dom

0 Kudos
1 Solution
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It is correct behavior.

According to the RM, I don't think you will have a Bus Fault when you are using FDFD due to this bit emulates the setting of DFDIF to check the associated interrupt routine as RM describes

davidtosenovjan_0-1658156950222.png

So the Flash Controller will not report the error to AHB which causes the bus fault when a real double bit ECC error occurs, because there is not an ECC error in the Flash.

In case you are injecting ECC error by flash over programming to generate ECC error in the flash memory itself, such reading will lead in bus or hard fault.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
davidtosenovjan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

It is correct behavior.

According to the RM, I don't think you will have a Bus Fault when you are using FDFD due to this bit emulates the setting of DFDIF to check the associated interrupt routine as RM describes

davidtosenovjan_0-1658156950222.png

So the Flash Controller will not report the error to AHB which causes the bus fault when a real double bit ECC error occurs, because there is not an ECC error in the Flash.

In case you are injecting ECC error by flash over programming to generate ECC error in the flash memory itself, such reading will lead in bus or hard fault.

0 Kudos
domdom
Contributor II

Hi,

thanks for clarification. Now I am able to force a "real" double ECC error that leads to a Bus Fault by writing multiples times to the same flash address with different values without prior erase. When reading from this flash address afterwards, i see the Bus Fault as expected.

Thanks and best regards,

Dom