cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S32K116 EVB debugging with PE Multilink FX RESET issue

NicoloStrozzi
Contributor III

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to flash and debug an Hello World example by using the PE Multilink FX debugger with SWD connection on a S32K116 EVB. 

From the debugger configuration I'm able to recognize the Multilink device, but with the default configuration an error is retrieved (see the following picture). The only modification with respect to the default one is I've checked the "Provide power to the target" checkbox.

PE_error.png

I've noticed that the RESET red led is always turned on, and checking with a tester the logic value on the line is LOW. 

Does someone has some hint on what's going on?

Thank you,

Nicolò   

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicolò,

Seems that you are using S32K116EVB2Q048 instead of S32K116EVB-Q048. How is the jumper selection? J10 and J104 and J107.

Please check if the voltage provide PE Multilink FX same as the selection of J10.(You don't need to provide the power, just use the on board 5V is ok. connect 2-3 J10)

J10 MCU Power Supply - Jumper Selection S32K116EVB2Q048.png

Since you have external PE Multilink FX, you don't need to power the OpenSDA by J7. And you can connect 1-2 of J104, route the reset signal(SW5) direct to the MCU.

Please try to use P&E Recovery Utility halt MCU. refer:Can't use PEmicro debugger with S32K118EVB2-Q048

Best Regards,
Robin
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

NicoloStrozzi
Contributor III

Hi Robin,

thank you for the quick reply. It seems that the jumpers are correctly set: 

evb_PEmicro.jpeg

When trying to use the Kinetis Recovery Utility v0.02 this is the output:

NicoloStrozzi_0-1650984971610.png

If I power on the EVB by connecting the micro-USB, the processor is succesfully halted.

Moreover, the debugging through the Multilink FX is totally working when the power supply is provided by the micro-USB (no power supply by Multilink FX).

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Nicolò,

You are welcome!
I am glad to hear that it works now.

Best Regards,
Robin

0 Kudos

NicoloStrozzi
Contributor III

Hi Robin,

there is a misunderstanding. I'm able to debug by using the Multilink FX only when also the micro-USB cable is connected and I provide power supply to the EVB through it.

If I attach the EVB only to the Multilink FX and I try to debug the error still persist. In the previously attached photo you can see the red led showing the EVB is in reset state. 

I need to flash and debug the EVB only using the Multilink FX, without providing power supply from an additional power source. 

Thank you

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Sorry. Did you try to disconnect the jumper of J10? I didn't check if the Multilink FX is able to give enough power to the board.

I haven't power the board in this way yet. We need to check the schematic. There are too many pins connected with OpenSDA circuit.

Have you tried program the S32K116 when power the board through USB? After that the RESET_b should not be low, which may lead to Multilink FX not able to connect the MCU.

0 Kudos

NicoloStrozzi
Contributor III

Hi Robin, 

yes, I've tried to program the S32K116 when power the board through USB and it works. If I disconnect the J10 jumper the EVB remains turned off.

I've noticed another behaviour. By doing the following sequence:

-launching the Debug procedure from S32DS

-Debugging process stops with the same error already posted

-remove the J10 jumper (board turns off)

-reconnect the J10 jumper (board turns on)

-Restart the debug procedure from S32DS

Everything works fine and I'm able to enter in the debugging mode.

It seems to me that the issue is in the debugging\resetting\powering sequence.

0 Kudos

Robin_Shen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Your S32K116EVB2Q048 looks obviously different from the photo of the development board on the website. Can you take a photo of the bottom of the development board? It is possible that our discussions are based on mismatched schematics.

S32K116EVB2Q048_Top.png

0 Kudos

NicoloStrozzi
Contributor III

Hi Robin,

here attached the photos of the bottom of our 3 EVBs.

evb1.jpegevb2.jpegevb3.jpeg

0 Kudos