cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Period measurement using emios icu

AManikandan
Contributor I

Hi All,

I have modified the example project - Emios_Icu_Ip_BlinkLed_S32K344 for period measurement. I have configured an emios input pin and connected function generator output to it. Then, tried reading period by using Emios_Icu_Ip_GetTimeElapsed api. But period is always read as 0. I have also tried generating PWM output on one pin and connecting it to the emios input pin instead of using the function generator. In that case also, period is read as 0. Could you please help on this? 

0 Kudos
8 Replies

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @AManikandan 

Could you please share your configurations and the RTD version you are working with? In the meantime, I suggest you better use the Emios_Icu_Ip_GetDutyCycleValues() function which provides the Active Time and Period Time of a PWM signal. 

B.R.

VaneB

0 Kudos

AManikandan
Contributor I
Please find my RTD version below
S32K3_RTD_4_0_0_D2311_ASR_REL_4_7_REV_0000_20231128
0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @AManikandan 

If possible, please share your configurations. 

0 Kudos

dpc
Contributor I
I'm having the same problem when trying to use input capture to period measurement.

In my project I use S32K311 device, with PTA3 (emios_1_ch_20_y) => only can be used in SAIC mode.
In both cases the values read were always 0:
  => Emios_Icu_Ip_GetTimeElapsed(PWM_INSTANCE_1, CHANNEL_20);
  and 
  => Emios_Icu_Ip_GetDutyCycleValues(PWM_INSTANCE_1, CHANNEL_20, &ic_result_temp);
   temp_periode = ic_result_temp.PeriodTime;
   temp_dutycycle = ic_result_temp.ActiveTime;

I use channel 23 to generate a pwm to channel_19, using BUS_A.
and channel 16 to generate clock to channel_20 (input capture), using BUS_D

RTD version: S32K3_RTD_4_0_0_P04_D2312_ASR_REL_4_7_REV_0000_20231220
S32DS v3.5.10 

I use a CORE_CLK=120MHz and I'm looking to see if the clock issue could be the cause, 
because I'm trying to capture a 6hz input signal!!Captura_Emios_Icu_00.PNGCaptura_Emios_Icu_01.PNGCaptura_Emios_Icu_02.PNGCaptura_Emios_McI_Ip_00.PNGCaptura_Emios_McI_Ip_01.PNGCaptura_pinout.PNG

      

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dpc 

You configured the IcuSignalMeasurementProperty as ICU_PERIOD_TIME and IcuSubModeforMeasurement as SAIC; however, the User Manual for S32K3 ICU Driver states that IcuSubModeforMeasurement will be enabled in configuration only when IcuSignalMeasurementProperty is ICU_DUTY_CYCLE.

0 Kudos

dpc
Contributor I

Hi VaneB,

Where can I get these documents? I can't find them
  - Integration Manual for S32K3 ICU Driver (RTD_ICU_IM.pdf)
  - User Manual for S32K3 ICU Driver (RTD_ICU_UM.pdf)
  (referenced in post https://community.nxp.com/t5/S32-Design-Studio-Knowledge-Base/SIUL2-external-interrupt-example-proje...

I have tried changing to duty cycle and the result is still reading value 0.
Debugging in Emios_Icu_Ip_GetDutyCycleValues() function
        instance=1 (emios_1)
        hwChannel=20
I have found that the measurement value that it reads is EMIOS_ICU_NO_MEASUREMENT when it is defined as EMIOS_ICU_DUTY_CYCLE.

Captura-ICU_DUTY_CYCLE.PNG

capture_GetDutyCycleValues-Instance_1-Ch20.png

I'm thinking about removing the pwm I generate with channel 23 and trying just the input capture mode (ch20), in case they interfere somewhere

0 Kudos

VaneB
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dpc 

The Integration Manual and the User Manual can be found for example at C:\NXP\S32DS.3.5\S32DS\software\PlatformSDK_S32K3\RTD\Icu_TS_T40D34M40I0R0\doc (S32DS path) or C:\NXP\SW32K3_RTD_R21-11_3.0.0_P07\eclipse\plugins\Icu_TS_T40D34M30I0R0\doc.

0 Kudos

dpc
Contributor I

thanks a lot VaneB!

0 Kudos