Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i use the FlexiCAN interface in S32k144

Jump to solution
akhilranga
Contributor IV

Hello Community,

I am using a S32k144EVB board . Which has 1 onboard CAN tranceiver and S32k144 MCU has 3 CAN interfaces. such as CAN0, CAN1 and CAN2. So, now the question is what if i wanted to use all the three CAN interfaces. But since i only have one on board CAN tranceiver. How can i use the rest of the two CAN instances.

Just to explain the question better. Here is a scenario,

I am trying to connect two different external CAN based nodes (Motor Controller and a B.M.S). and these nodes have their own tranceivers and they output to the CAN BUS in (CANH & CANL). How can this be approached ??

Please help

#S32k144

#s32k144EVB

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
PetrS
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

if you want to use all FlexCAN instances for receive and transmit then each of them must have its own transceiver and you can have separate can busses or modules can be connected to single bus.
More FlexCAN modules can be connected to a single transceiver if only one will be in normal mode and others configured in listen only mode. This way you can e.g. extend number of message buffers used by a single node.
If you want to connect two different external CAN based nodes (Motor Controller and a B.M.S with own transceivers) into your MCU then connect each node into single CAN bus.

BR, Petr

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
akhilranga
Contributor IV

MicrosoftTeams-image (11).png

 Hi @PetrS ,

Thanks for your response and that cleared lot of things for me. But i just want to confirm few things before going ahead and developing. Please kindly observe the above diagram. Where you can see external nodes like BMS, Motor Controller (MCU), Display and Aux BMS are connected to a single CAN Bus . And the S32k144 CAN 0 instance is beign used to receive all the data from the CAN Bus. 

Assuming all the CAN nodes connected have same CAN Bus type. with similar bitrate and CAN type.

So, can you please confirm wheather the above connections are good to go ahead or do they need any change.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
PetrS
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

if you want to use all FlexCAN instances for receive and transmit then each of them must have its own transceiver and you can have separate can busses or modules can be connected to single bus.
More FlexCAN modules can be connected to a single transceiver if only one will be in normal mode and others configured in listen only mode. This way you can e.g. extend number of message buffers used by a single node.
If you want to connect two different external CAN based nodes (Motor Controller and a B.M.S with own transceivers) into your MCU then connect each node into single CAN bus.

BR, Petr

0 Kudos